advertisement

A cautionary tale

No you are not alone, but it's not a rational position, nor one that could possibly be supported by any evidence. I drive three different makes of car, not including when I use hire cars which will be different again. I don't notice any difference in the way other drivers react to my driving. Probably because I'm the same driver, driving in much the same style. In other words, the driver is typically the critical variant, not the car.

This ^^^^^ I regularly drive 4 different types of car.. Honda Civic, BMW X5, Merc SL and Audi TT. I see absolutely zero difference to how I am treated on the road in any of them... I do think the whole 'typical INSERT MANUFACTURER NAME HERE driver' is a myth... twats drive all different types of cars and some even ride bikes or walk on the pavements.

My wife used to drive a Civic Type R, young lads used to always try & take her on at the lights in their Vauxhall Corsas, doesn’t seem to happen in her Golf GTi.

To be fair the ‘Audi driver’ is something of a cliche, I can’t really think of any brand which stands out particularly.

My mate was nearly killed by a women driving a mini, bad driving is just that.

It is a Give Way line. If you cannot merge safely before the slip road ends then you have to stop and wait until it is safe to join.

I’ve not re-read my Highway Code to check, but if it says that, it’s mad. That’s a recipe for a major incident as others behind accelerate to join the motorway.

OK, I’ve checked as it was a quick search.

It says nothing about stopping thank goodness as that would be utter madness. At best it infers that those in the left lane of the motorway will have left enough space for you to join…

From: https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/joining-the-motorway.html

Joining the motorway (259)
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

• give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

What would you suggest when there is no gap to move into?

That the drivers in the left lane are driving like twats - and in nearly 40 years of driving I’ve never experienced there being no gap, as like most people I assess where the gap I’m going for will be and have a backup plan if that gap becomes unavailable.

EDIT. God I’m getting old. Over 40 years of driving!

That the drivers in the left lane are driving like twats - and in nearly 40 years of driving I’ve never experienced there being no gap, as like most people I assess where the gap I’m going for will be and have a backup plan if that gap becomes unavailable.

EDIT. God I’m getting old. Over 40 years of driving!
There's usually more limited gaps when the traffic is slow moving or even stopped. So I'll ask again - what if there is no gap?

The larger and slower the vehicle the more difficult it is. Try getting a 40ft artic onto a busy slow moving motorway. You may have to stop until there is room to safely join.

There's usually more limited gaps when the traffic is slow moving or even stopped. So I'll ask again - what if there is no gap?

The larger and slower the vehicle the more difficult it is. Try getting a 40ft artic onto a busy slow moving motorway. You may have to stop until there is room to safely join.

Obviously if traffic is in a jam everyone will be stopping or going very slowly. In that circumstance you’re clearly correct, stopping alongside other stopped vehicles will occur.

I admit I’ve never driven anything larger than a 7.5 tonner, so if you drive HGVs and experience things differently I’ll defer. Oh, and get off the Internet and deliver some fuel! :)

I did some HGV training decades ago - basically to see what it was like and for the experience. It's hard work and not something that I wanted to do as a job after doing the long training sessions. I enjoyed it and it gave my driving skills a huge boost but as a career no thanks.
I had to join a busy motorway and there was nowhere to go so had to stop and then gun it hard through the gears. There was no synchromesh (double de-clutching needed) and you also had to change axle speeds as well with a red lever on then gear knob. Block shifting from 3rd to 5th meant moving the lever and changing the axle ratio as well as part of the same manoeuvre.

This is a world away from clutchless upshifts on the bike when the "shift" light flashes at you. Especially as the speed limit is being broken as soon as the "shift" light flashes in 1st gear...ahem

No you are not alone, but it's not a rational position, nor one that could possibly be supported by any evidence. I drive three different makes of car, not including when I use hire cars which will be different again. I don't notice any difference in the way other drivers react to my driving. Probably because I'm the same driver, driving in much the same style. In other words, the driver is typically the critical variant, not the car.

As usual on PFM, people get het up about these things.
I didn't say all Audio drivers are knobs, I said that I was not surprised that a car being driven aggressively was an Audi.

In Venn diagram terms: the "knob" circle and the "Audi" circle overlap, but the Audi circle is not fully inside the knob circle ;)

walking back from town, nearly hit by an arsehole cyclist on the pavement in a quiet residential road travelling at stupid speed. He managed to just about miss me and ended up off the kerb with a buckled wheel.

I didn't say all Audio drivers are knobs, I said that I was not surprised that a car being driven aggressively was an Audi.

In Venn diagram terms: the "knob" circle and the "Audi" circle overlap, but the Audi circle is not fully inside the knob circle ;)

Four circles and three overlaps IIRC. ;)

Don't move over if this would force other motorway drivers to change their speed or position, however.

As I have said a number of times before on here. The principle that you should 'never undertake ANY manouvre which will force another road user to change speed or direction', used to be written clearly in the Highway Code, in reference to ALL driving in ALL situations. It's a very good guiding principle. It also applies to pedestrians...who are also road users.

All of this anti Audi driver stuff is clearly nonsense. My brother has (finally) taken delivery of a rather nice A3 super megga summat or other with almost 'everything on'.
So far he has spent about three weeks sitting harmlessly in this vehicle on his driveway....trying to work out how to operate the multitude of gadgets and features.
He's currently no threat...:)

All of this anti Audi driver stuff is clearly nonsense. My brother has (finally) taken delivery of a rather nice A3 super megga summat or other with almost 'everything on'.
So far he has spent about three weeks sitting harmlessly in this vehicle on his driveway....trying to work out how to operate the multitude of gadgets and features.
He's currently no threat...:)
Yes, the indicators are particularly hard to operate, apparently…

That's not a bad reverse turn.

advertisement

Back