advertisement

A blatant plug for my mate Steve Lawson

Tom Alves

Seeker of enlightenment
Steve Lawson is an excellent bass player with a growing international reputation. Anyway he's got some gigs coming up in March, with Michael Manring. He's another solo bassist, but apparently it's not 'bass music', so he tells me.

So, they're doing a tour - sadly all the dates are in the south, but worth travelling for. Three of them are also with a guy called John Lester, who's a singer/sonwriter that plays upright bass. He's very good too. Very very good. File these gigs under 'unmissable'.

here are the dates
  • 16th - Mansons Music Shop, Exeter - clinic/gig with michael manring. 7.30pm, tix £4 call 01392 496379
  • 18th - Traders, Petersfield, Hampshire - with Michael Manring, 9pm, tix £5. call 07931-370110 for info/tix
  • 19th - The King and Queen, Brighton. - with Michael Manring, pm, tix £7/£5 concs. Tel: 01273 607207
  • 20th - 21 South Street Arts Centre, Reading - with Michael Manring and John Lester. doors - 7.30pm tix £8.00 from website or 0118 9606060
  • 21st - The Troubadour, Earls Court, London - with Michael Manring and John Lester. 7.30pm £8. call 07855 775594
  • 22nd - The Joiners, Southampton - with Michael Manring and John Lester. 7.30pm £7.50. tix and info - 07931-370110
There are a couple of MP3s of Michael and Steve duetting on his website , if you want to check those out. They're very good!

I can certainly vouch for Michael Manring. I have a couple of his albums so him alone will be worth it. Sounds right up my street.

Cheers,

Saw Steve Lawson at the Stables in Milton Keynes, supporting the Schizoid band - and bought two of his CDs on the strength of it.

For solo bass stuff, it's remarkably inspiring and melodic. Lots of sampled loops created and built up in real time which is pleasant to listen to but absolutely amazing to experience first hand.

The only thing spoiling it were the morons who regarded him as a distraction from the main event and talked all the way through his set.

Ed.

p.s. does he still wear the "Fraggle Rock" T-shirt and black nail varnish?

"Hello. Please leave your name and number and I'll call you back"...

I hope the gig is a good one, seems like I won't be going at the moment.

Edit:- I will go to the ball. Thank you Sebastian.

Cheers,

What a spendid evening it was too!:) To see at least one of my "heros" treading the boards and being introduced to two other exponents of the lower register was a captivating evening. Blagged my keyboard player into coming, he was a bit surprised when he found out it was 3 solo bass players but totally enjoyed it as well.

If you're in Southampton tonight do go along, you owe it to yourself.

Cheers,

more great gigs news for those of you who live in the south east of England, and more disappointment for the rest of you, I'm afraid (still, he's working on more gigs further afield, so watch this space)

anyway, he's got three gigs coming up in May, with Muriel Anderson, a fabulous acoustic guitarist from the US. The gigs are in London, Sevenoaks and Petersfield
below is the press release thingie for the gigs

Making a rare visit to the UK, American acoustic guitar virtuoso Muriel Anderson will be playing three dates in the UK in May, supported by Brit solo bass wonder, Steve Lawson.

Ever since she studied under Chet Atkins and won the National Guitar Picking Championships in the States, Muriel has been turning heads and dropping jaws across the US and mainland Europe with her blend of fantastic fingerstyle technique and broad repetoire, from classical to bluegrass, Bach to the Beatles. "Muriel Anderson... has justifiably gained a reputation as one of the world's best, and most versatile, guitar instrumentalists." - Chicago Tribune.

The support for each gig will be Steve Lawson, the UK's leading solo bassist, using real time looping to turn a single bass into an orchestra. " Steve's complex array of sound and rare, intimate touch are rapidly turning him into one of the most influential bassists in the world." - Bass Guitar Magazine (uk)

This is a double bill not to be missed!

the dates are -

Friday May 14th, Lauderdale House, Highgate, London. Tix £10/£8 Call 0207 402 0275 web info - Acoustic Masters
Sunday May 16th, The Ship Theatre, Sevenoaks, Kent. Tix £10/£8 Box Office 01732 450305 web info - The Ship

Monday May 17th, Traders, Petersfield, Hampshire. Tix
Call 07931 370110
web info - coming soon!

www.murielanderson.com
www.stevelawson.net

Have fun you lucky people

advertisement

Back