advertisement

90s Vinyl Prices

We're seeing a huge amount of 90s and 00s stuff getting first or second reissues now, just like the Doves ones. I wonder how many people are actually out there that are after first pressings from this era; I would hope that some stuff will come down a bit in price from the silly highs.

Still, if the reissues are rubbish, then no difference. I bought the current reissue of Pulp's "A different class", and it was so badly mastered and pressed that I brought it back for a refund. I don't know if the original was any better, but I'm very cautious about current pressings ever since. I try to buy second hand where I can so that I can actually spin it before I buy.

We're seeing a huge amount of 90s and 00s stuff getting first or second reissues now, just like the Doves ones. I wonder how many people are actually out there that are after first pressings from this era; I would hope that some stuff will come down a bit in price from the silly highs.

Still, if the reissues are rubbish, then no difference. I bought the current reissue of Pulp's "A different class", and it was so badly mastered and pressed that I brought it back for a refund. I don't know if the original was any better, but I'm very cautious about current pressings ever since. I try to buy second hand where I can so that I can actually spin it before I buy.
I have original copy of 'different class', not played it for a while but recall it being a decent press/master at the time. I fear a lot of the newer releases are just CD transfers.

I have original copy of 'different class', not played it for a while but recall it being a decent press/master at the time. I fear a lot of the newer releases are just CD transfers.
Even if it was a CD transfer that'd be better than what I got. If you remember the bit in "Common People" where he slides the guitar note? That was so flat it was barely audible even in my rather bright system.

Hi, not sure if you buy from Discogs or not. If not then give it a look, people leave feedback re the version that they have bought. If I remember correctly the Pulp album was highlighted as being a terrible pressing, it put me of purchasing it along with others that have been flagged as being flat etc.

Regards
Adam

Common on CD, but few of that demographic stayed with vinyl at that period, so very rare there. I bet some major artists only sold a couple of thousand copies on vinyl of their million selling titles.

Pearl Jam circa the mid 90s, were the last band to have a number one Billboard album based solely on vinyl sales. Both they and RATM, their debut, released an album on vinyl weeks before the CD was released. Post the Pearl Jam album many of the pressing plants had simply closed due to lack of demand.

There's A whole rake of rock album from the 90s to the early 2000s that need re-releases on vinyl. The first two "Mars Volta" albums fetch mad money as does the first "Cry Of Love" Album.

By chance I’ve just taken a very nice collection in for the pfm shop with a lot of this period of vinyl in it including a fair few titles mentioned on this thread. Some exceptionally valuable albums and mostly in very decent condition. Keep an eye on the list over the next few months (there is a lot of it!).

Yes you tease Tony.

I’ve started to get into 1990’s Electronica on vinyl, so any Leftfield, Speedy J, Aphex, Polygon Window out there i’d love to know about :)

advertisement

Back