advertisement

90s Vinyl Prices

I know sweet FA about vinyl collectability and prices but it strikes me as bizarre that famous albums by artists that were huge sellers and only back in the '90's would be worth so much! I'd have thought the likes of Oasis and The Cure sold in millions and were common and worth nowt.... just goes to show...

I know sweet FA about vinyl collectability and prices but it strikes me as bizarre that famous albums by artists that were huge sellers and only back in the '90's would be worth so much! I'd have thought the likes of Oasis and The Cure sold in millions and were common and worth nowt.... just goes to show...

Common on CD, but few of that demographic stayed with vinyl at that period, so very rare there. I bet some major artists only sold a couple of thousand copies on vinyl of their million selling titles.

Nobody was buying vinyl back then, the CD's are worth SFA. Demand & supply is all

Common on CD, but few of that demographic stayed with vinyl at that period, so very rare there. I bet some major artists only sold a couple of thousand copies on vinyl of their million selling titles.
I don't recall having difficulty getting the titles I wanted at the time but you did have to buy them as soon as they came out. No one predicted the vinyl revival.

Seems it's cool to like your dad's music these days and play it the way he did. I'm quite happy about that - vindication for our tastes and maybe a bit of moolah to boot.

I don't remember having trouble getting hold of many albums but then generally bought in the first week of release too. Can remember flicking past so many albums in the sale racks that now fetch a shedload.

Are there any reliable stats for sales ratios?

I’ve just had another look through my collection and found a fair few more ‘90s titles with decent prices, e.g. Mogwai Young Team, CODY, Moby Play, first Gomez, a few Stereolab (Transient, Mars, Margarine, though nothing coloured vinyl), Sigur Ros Takk etc. It does seem that the further one gets into the ‘90s the more stuff is worth. The thing that pleases me is, as with classic titles, reissues don’t actually seem to dent the original prices much as a lot of the stuff I have has been stuck out again more recently.

I’ve just had another look through my collection and found a fair few more ‘90s titles with decent prices, e.g. Mogwai Young Team, CODY, Moby Play, first Gomez, a few Stereolab (Transient, Mars, Margarine, though nothing coloured vinyl), Sigur Ros Takk etc. It does seem that the further one gets into the ‘90s the more stuff is worth. The thing that pleases me is, as with classic titles, reissues don’t actually seem to dent the original prices much as a lot of the stuff I have has been stuck out again more recently.
I have Moby Play, 1st Gomez (& a few other of theirs on vinyl). Back then CD was very much king

I was only earning £60 p/w (£58 after NI!) in 96/97 so I was buying more 7" singles around that time, sadly singles from most of the artists mentioned above aren't anywhere near as valuable as the albums, I have a boat load, most never played!

One of my highest valued LPs is Cracker's 1992 self-titled debut

But a ltd edition of The Orb's U.F.Orbe is worth about a quarter of it

But a ltd edition of The Orb's U.F.Orbe is worth about a quarter of it

I like early Orb! I’ve got the one with the blue outer cover, free live LP and various inserts. I’ve got the Aubry Mixes album and few of the early 12” singles too. Trying to find a quiet copy of their first album was one of the things that drove me to CD! Even the one with the ‘Special Classical Pressing’ sticker was noisy as hell and I don’t think I’ve seen an Orb album that is perfectly centred! Some late-80s/early-90s vinyl really was crap IMHO.

PS Surprised how little early 808 State is worth (I’ve got Newbuild and Quadrastate), same with The Shamen, I’ve got the really lovely limited 2x12” cut of En-Tact with the embossed sleeve and its only worth about £20!

I spelled it wrong. Long day. Mine's the black PVC outer, with inserts but no live LP. I played it last week for the first time in years and it was quite quiet.

Yeah, so far it seems to be the bands that are still going or where the singer is dead. Makes sense I suppose.

'

Some nice prices there. Fun this eh?

If you've got any Sarah Records stuff you might be pleasantly surprised. I think I've got Saropoly, a game in 7" packaging but don't see it listed.

Bloody pain trying to read the matrix numbers on albums and search through 200 different pressings to see whether I've got the £1 or 50p version of 70s classics.

'

Some nice prices there. Fun this eh?

If you've got any Sarah Records stuff you might be pleasantly surprised. I think I've got Saropoly, a game in 7" packaging but don't see it listed.

Bloody pain trying to read the matrix numbers on albums and search through 200 different pressings to see whether I've got the £1 or 50p version of 70s classics.

I'm crap with labels, I wouldn't know who was on what without individually sorting them.

Nobody was buying vinyl back then, the CD's are worth SFA. Demand & supply is all

I was, no record shops though, both local shops Pop In and Cameron's had stopped stocking vinyl, I would have bought older records from the record fairs and new titles from Diverse Vinyl.
Quite a few of the titles mentioned in this thread I have a copy of, though someone mentioned the Cranberries, just a week before Delores passed, Tracy asked me to get some Cranberries on vinyl, both of us own copies of the earlier CDs. I bought a couple of albums, both new & sealed, a week later I could have sold them for many times what I paid, same thing happened with Bowie, all his records shot up in price after his passing

I was, no record shops though, both local shops Pop In and Cameron's had stopped stocking vinyl, I would have bought older records from the record fairs and new titles from Diverse Vinyl.
Quite a few of the titles mentioned in this thread I have a copy of, though someone mentioned the Cranberries, just a week before Delores passed, Tracy asked me to get some Cranberries on vinyl, both of us own copies of the earlier CDs. I bought a couple of albums, both new & sealed, a week later I could have sold them for many times what I paid, same thing happened with Bowie, all his records shot up in price after his passing

Just need someone to off the Gallaghers and my Oasis vinyl will be on Discogs quicker than you can say kerching.

advertisement

Back