advertisement

60s Psychedelia

Just been listening to Nurse With Wound's Rock 'n Roll Station/Second Pirate Station album. Definitely extremely lysergic. The track "Chugging" especially. Nothing overblown about it, however; it's very precise, if you know what I mean. And simultaneously out of its mind.

-- Ian

The Pretty Things "SF Sorrow" is also a brilliant psychedelic album as well as the first true "Rock Opera". Recorded at the same time at Abbey Road as the Beatles Sgt Pepper and Floyds Piper. Truelly Mind Expanding. As well as the nuggets collections check out The Rubbles collections originally on Vinyl and now released in a Two Volume Box Set on CD. Great Psych, Freakbeat and demented R'n'B. Lots of long lost singles etc.

A good site for Psych Re-releases is The Freak Emporium

Hi
What about the Small Faces, Ogdens Nut Gone Flake then. Allthough they never set out as a psycedelic outfit, this has all the attributes as far as I can see.
Regards
Jim

or is the interest in 60's/psychedelic music growing? The number of reissues that appear to be coming out is fascinating in its diversity. HP Lovecraft albums are available on vinyl again! These were always hard to get even when they were current.

I haven't mentioned one of my favourite records although not 60's, it deserves mention here, the first GO album. Unfortunately I don't think its ever been released on CD, I guess there may be contractual problems. This disc is a melding of Steve Winwood, Stomu Yamashta, Klaus Schulz and many others. It is wonderful, spacey and definitely the direction I would like to have seen more of the psychedelic bands go.

For me the Psych baton was grabbed by the German bands of the late 60's and early 70's. Damn, and they make better cars than us. It makes you wonder about who really won the 2nd European civil war.

Martin

Thanks for reminding me. Didnt own that record but know it very well.

I remember a groupe called "Psychedelic Underground" and guess it has to be mentionend. The vinyl was very coloured AFAIR.

Vanilla Fudge - Thats funny played it early this day.

Spirit's 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus. Marvelous stuff. Also the Family that plays but to quite as Psych as the 12 Dreams.

Quicksilver Messenger Service' first few albums are very Psych too.

I also remember an album a friend of mine got years back in bargain bin for a quid. It was by Tonto's Expanding Headband - I think the name gives it all away. I've never seen it again. Does anyone own this?

It was triptastic.

Hi
I have a copy of the Tonto's expanding headband album and I like it very much as well, it's called Zero time.
regards
Jim

Just got a double cd by Pärson Sound which is incredible.
67/68 swedish Reily/VU inspired drone psychrock... lovely!

advertisement

Back