advertisement

6 Music goings on

Totally given up on radio now , everything's just crap.Cant stand all those 6 music presenters trying too hard to be cool , they're just not.

Totally given up on radio now , everything's just crap.Cant stand all those 6 music presenters trying too hard to be cool , they're just not.

Thanks for your valuable input. I can't think of a single presenter that is trying too hard to be cool, most of them are grumpy middle aged men, the only pretentious twats I can't be doing with are Hobbs and Gilles Peterson.

I was hoping Jeff Lloyd would get the breakfast show gig, he stood in for a week and was very entertaining (as he was when he was on Virgin).

I won’t miss Shaun K’s breakfast show, ok at first but he was starting to wear thin for me.

It’s hard to find a good breakfast show, the adds on the commercial shows are too much and the beeb hasn’t got it right for a long time..... any recommendations out there?

Well I gave Lauren Laverne another go this morning, I just don't like her and switched to Spotify after 30 minutes. Don't mind the extra 30 minutes of Chris Hawkins though.

Cheers BB

It's sad in a way...I used to like 6 Music and was glad that it existed. But that was in the early days. Now I find it generally unbearable. Self satisfied and smug presenters droning on endlessly. LL is one of the very worst for never ever shutting up. She can talk for 10 minutes at a time and you just know that she is reading the information about who designed the cover ,made the dress, sowed on the sequins or produced the album ( and which other 20 people that producer has worked with ) off a computer screen. She does not have an innate knowledge of everything she comes out with....it's on a screen in front of her.

And she never shuts up.

I agree that 6M is slightly in the doldrums at the mo' though it's still just about the only station I listen to and I'm very grateful that it exists.
Personally I'd have liked them to be a bit more radical with the presenters as any single presenter eventually becomes repetitive even if you like them initially, especially if you tend to listen at the same times every day/week. I find myself being more entertained by guest presenters. Better to have more presenters with fewer slots, get some variety back please.

Contrary to opinion here, I quite enjoyed the 20 mins or so of Lauren that I heard this morning. At least she does not use that ruddy auto mute device in the background!

What happened to her mackem accent?

She has two accents ( another thing that I can't stand about her ) One she uses for 6 Music.. all dropped t's at the end of words etc, ( hip with the yoofs ) and one she uses for when she is on Radio 4 or tv adverts... much more poshed up.

For me LL is a great improvement on her predecessor. She talks about the music she's playing, whereas Keaveney seemed to think that the music was just a prop as he mined his rich vein of comedy gold.

For me, LL is poor compared to Keaveney. Far too upbeat for a morning show. And no characteristic slots/beds at specific times so you know when you are running late.

I used to loathe Keaveney, but came to like him over the last 12 months. I have a job so will miss him in the afternoons and his isn’t the sort of show I’d iPlayer.

Of all those mentioned, i’ve Gradually gone off Radcliffe & Maconie. Shame as I think they’re both excellent people all round. Hopefully once Mark R is recovered and they start their new slot things will freshen up.

I do like Ravenscroft, and have always liked MAH (Radio 1 in the 99s when I was a student). I never used to like Nemone but what I’ve heard of her recently my view has softened.

Fave shows are: Cerys Mathews and Iggy Pop. I don’t mind Guy Garvey on a Sunday afternoon either.

But the one I wish would be put out of my misery is Huey ****ing Morgan. What a ****ing t___! Trifecta my arse - that’s a gambling term and you haven’t lived in the Bronx or god knows where for years. P___ off..!

Find 6 Music hard to listen to nowadays. Shame really. Used to get me through the day.

Seems it's now produced by social media studies degree types who have some sort of attention deficit disorder.

And those constant BBC news bulletins. Eats into yer brain. Don't need that in my life thanks.

The internet is a much better place to be.

Well so far this year I've barely listened, I've tried but I can't stick Lauren in a morning and Hobbs is an instant turn off. I've found myself with R4 on all day or music off my phone when that gets a bit too twee. Sad state of affairs really, will probably miss RadMac now as well as they're just about finishing when I get up.

R6 pretty much ruined for me, I'd be intrigued to see the listening figures for all these new shows against their previous ones.

Same here Matt, I switch off at 07.30 when The Hawk finishes. I like Keaveney but his show isn’t right in the afternoon. At least Robert Elms is on Radio London when MAH is on, otherwise it’s a mixture of 5Live, Spotify or Podcasts.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back