advertisement

6 Music goings on

matt j

pfm Member
I listen most of the day when not on a job, but I must have missed something, I know they're having a shift around after christmas but what happened to Matt Everitt on the the breakfast show with Keaveny, and why is Lauren Laverne having every other day off leaving the god awful Tom Ravenscroft filling in all the bloody time?

Matt Everitt was taking time off and I believe back with Sean on the new afternoon show in January.

Don’t know about Lauren Laverne, I can’t stand her. I’ll be looking for a new breakfast show in January.

Cheers BB

Aye, I knew he was coming back to the new afternoon slot I just wondered where he'd gone.

I'm not mad keen on Laverne either but she's still 100x better than the awful Ravenscroft, only beaten on the shit-o-meter by Hobbs.

I'm going to miss Shaun W Keavney & Matt Everitt in the mornings, they were very entertaining and regularly introduced me to new artists. I turned to them when I finally despaired of the numbskulls and whingers who now front BBC Breakfast. I liked Lauren when she was in Kenickie but she and Mary Anne Hobbs are immediate turn-offs for me as radio presenters. My current plan is to use catch-up or something similar to listen to the previous day's Keaveny/Everitt show on the following morning.

Matt Everitt's absence was due to his taking paternity leave which is a laudable thing to do.

Mornings will not be the same without Keavney but he will be replacing Ratcliffe and Maconnie who I can't stand so happy days.
Gilles Peterson and Iggy Pop are my 2 favourites in 6 music.

I quite like Tom Ravenscroft, and he plays some really good music, as @wylton said, very diverse. I also like how he doesn't trade on his dads legacy, which would have been easy for him to do. Indeed it would astound me if it hadn't been suggested to him that he should be more like him in his delivery .

+1 to scheduling keaveneys afternoon show in the mornings from now on.

I do hope a decent nights sleep doesn't cheer him up!

Just shows that we’re all different I guess. Keavney is an absolute cringe fest as far as I’m concerned, the sooner hes gone the better. Love Lauren, love Ravers.

And whilst they’re having a switch around ... any chance of binning Steve lamacq? Or at least sitting him down and explaining to him that it isn’t 1997 any more.

Last edited:
Just shows that we’re all different I guess. Keavney is an absolute cringe fest as far as I’m concerned, the sooner hes gone the better. Love Lauren, love Ravers.

And whilst there having a switch around ... any chance of binning Steve lamacq? Or at least sitting him down and explaining to him that it isn’t 1997 any more.

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

I could really do without the endless ads featuring their own DJs banging on about how thrillingly eclectic they all are - as if the station wasn't heavily playlisted like any other. And how come Guy Garvey is allowed to name-drop Elbow every other sentence?

All of which aside, it's still the best of the non-internet radio stations.

And whilst there having a switch around ... any chance of binning Steve lamacq? Or at least sitting him down and explaining to him that it isn’t 1997 any more.

Yes no accounting for taste!

Although I think we all agree RE: Lamaq, he needs binning off to some weekend graveyard shift obscurity.

Ravenscroft is like the male version of Hobbs, he's also rubbish at interviews with his constant interrupting and stupid questions.

I like Keaveny because he's a miserable bastard (even if it's only his schtick) and I hate the typical cheery, smashy/nicey breakfast presenter.

Slight aside, but related, what radio stations do folks listen to other than 6 music? (ignoring the other bbc stations, looking for recommendations outside the beeb)

6 really is unlistenable - Keavney is dreadful, his whole dour persona is boring. Laverne - banging on about tweeting and headphone moments sees me turning the radio off. Radcliffe and Maconie - whichever of them it is that cant finish a sentence, drives me doolally with his errrrrrr eerrrrrrr arghhhhhhh constantly. Lamaq is tolerable. Its only post 7pm that its any good - Mark Riley and Tom Ravenscroft are both excellent. Weekends, Mary Ann Hobbs, with her little giggle.at the end of every sentance, WHY? Liz Kershaw, shes crap, swap her for her brother. Gilles Peterson is excellent. Guy 'lead singer of Elbow' Garvey grrrrrrrrr.

Bah Humbug.

Keaveny drives me nuts with that ruddy auto-fade over music thing he uses. Someone else does it too. You end up missing words and get fed up. Keaveny also does not have a voice that projects well on a car radio either - so you have to turn it up.

advertisement

Back