advertisement

548mph ..........

Might've been easier to watch if they'd just locked that camera off. I went dizzy after 10 seconds. :D

It's the recording from the head-mounted camera of the pilot, so you can basically see what he's looking at. It's almost impossible to track the model with the static camera shots from what I've seen.

CHE

I hope that thing was geofenced away from the pilot. It could be a decapitation so easily!

I hope that thing was geofenced away from the pilot. It could be a decapitation so easily!

Indeed. I've seen some setups where the pilot is behind an armoured 'hide' type structure for exactly those reasons, but this guy (and I've seen a few of his videos) seems unprotected.

CHE

I dont really get the physics/mecahnics of that: where does the force come from to accelerate it to those kind of speeds ?

@-alan- It's flown - manually! - in an inclined loop in the lee of the mountaintop, picking up a little speed everytime it flies across the wind lofting up over the top of the mountain by aerodynamic lift forces - think of how say the blades of a wind turbine work - very high tip speed to prevailing windspeed ratio: hence need for very constant, high wind speed on the right-shape hilltop to get close

It's this guy, and he's done vids on youtube about it - very clever stuff:

http://www.dskinetic.com/transonicdp.aspx

Wow! Who would have thought radio controlled gliders were potentially so dangerous.
Back of envelope stuff - from the site above, seems the gliders are about 12lbs in weight: I'll round that to 6kg for this new larger one; 548mph = 244m/s velocity - erm that's 357kJ peak KE - a massive amount of kinetic energy - the same as <twiddles/> a one tonne car at 42mph. Think about that.

Oh, and at the top of the loop, it is pulling nearly 100g lateral acceleration!

@-alan- It's flown - manually! - in an inclined loop in the lee of the mountaintop, picking up a little speed everytime it flies across the wind lofting up over the top of the mountain by aerodynamic lift forces - think of how say the blades of a wind turbine work - very high tip speed to prevailing windspeed ratio: hence need for very constant, high wind speed on the right-shape hilltop to get close

It's this guy, and he's done vids on youtube about it - very clever stuff:

http://www.dskinetic.com/transonicdp.aspx

Back of envelope stuff - from the site above, seems the gliders are about 12lbs in weight: I'll round that to 6kg for this new larger one; 548mph = 244m/s velocity - erm that's 357kJ peak KE - a massive amount of kinetic energy - the same as <twiddles/> a one tonne car at 42mph. Think about that.

Oh, and at the top of the loop, it is pulling nearly 100g lateral acceleration!
I love the fact that one of the aero engineers is called Dirk Pflug. Nominative determinism at its finest.

I feel sick.

The photographer should invest in a dead cat.

This post needs a picture.

eec3071e-cf99-4727-8991-7c2e1a86606e.jpg._CB300734657_.jpg

advertisement

Back