advertisement

50ohm or 75ohm BNC Plugs ?????

fatcat

pfm Member
Does anybody know if 50ohm or 75ohm BNC Plugs should be used for connecting my turntable (MC cartridge) to my Naim 62.

Thanks

Originally posted by fatcat
Does anybody know if 50ohm or 75ohm BNC Plugs should be used for connecting my turntable (MC cartridge) to my Naim 62

Naim bnc's are 50ohm.

Mark

I have just taken delivery of of a nice shiny pair os silver plated BNC plugs. I havent a clue how to fit the cable. I have a good idea how to fot the centre peice of wire. But I cant figure the rest. The end where the cable fits has an approx. 2mm hole, the diameter of my cable looks about 4mm.

HELP

Originally posted by fatcat
I have just taken delivery of of a nice shiny pair os silver plated BNC plugs. I havent a clue how to fit the cable. I have a good idea how to fot the centre peice of wire. But I cant figure the rest. The end where the cable fits has an approx. 2mm hole, the diameter of my cable looks about 4mm.

HELP

Are the connectors crimp, screw on or solder?

Mark

If it's at all similar to the ones I have (and that drawing kind of makes it hard to tell), then here's what I did (if it helps):

I assume you've got a bag with loads of bits in there:
The connector body
a centre pin
a washer
a rubber washer
a chamfered metal collar
the back of the connector with the nut and a threaded section.

I ignored the washer, then slid the the threaded nut onto the cable, then the rubber washer. Then strip back about the outer core of the cable to expose the shield - trim this back a bit, but keep some exposed.
Trim back some of the inner insulator - about 5mm. Insert into the back of the pin and solder. Put on the chamfered collar - narrow end towards the pin, so it will sit against the exposed outer shield. Offer pin up to the connector - make sure the outer insulation is stripped back far enough to allow the pin into it's correct position - it should click into place. Now tighten up the rear nut.

A couple of (bad) pics:

Showing collar off for lengths of stripping:
BNC_exploded1.jpg

Collar in position, ready to be put together:
BNC_exploded2.jpg

Hope that helps!

R

[edited for typo]

Richard

Thanks for the info, the photos are very clear. I now understand how it is assembled. My plug is identical to yours, except it only has 3 parts, it doesnt have the washer or rubber seal. I think my main problem is the hole in the nut is smaller than the cable, plus the insulation covering the inner wire may not fit into the centre pin. I will only find if this is so when I cut the existing phono plugs off the cable.
I think I will have to take a drill and file to it.

I will only find if this is so when I cut the existing phono plugs off the cable
Scary stuff!
Remember re the centre pin that the insulation doesn't go into it, only the actual wire itself. Looking at my top picture, I had bare wire from 6mm, insulated inner from 10mm, and outer insulation from 17mm.

If the hole in the nut won't take the cable, what about stripping the outer insulation off, then shrinkwrapping to cover the shield? I can pop a bit of shrinkwrap in the post if it will help - just let me know what diameter the cable is. You'll need a heatgun or turbo nutter hairdrier to shrink it (or judicious application of some other heat source).

Originally posted by RichardH
Scary stuff!
Remember re the centre pin that the insulation doesn't go into it, only the actual wire itself. Looking at my top picture, I had bare wire from 6mm, insulated inner from 10mm, and outer insulation from 17mm.

If the hole in the nut won't take the cable, what about stripping the outer insulation off, then shrinkwrapping to cover the shield? I can pop a bit of shrinkwrap in the post if it will help - just let me know what diameter the cable is. You'll need a heatgun or turbo nutter hairdrier to shrink it (or judicious application of some other heat source).

You need the nut to hold everything in from the rear. By all means heatshrink afterwards but not before.

Sounds like you have the wrong size nut for your cable.

BNC's come with various cable size nuts. Contact the suppliers technical dept and explain your problem etc.

Mark

I was just thinking of some heatshrink to cover the shielding if the outer insulation was too thick and had to be removed to allow the nut onto the cable - obviously it should still allow the nut to slide up and tighten to the main body.

Topcat - if you're still having probs I have two of "my type" spare. No fancy pants silver stuff though.....

Topcat

If you can't solve the problem with Richards bits, pm me your e-mail address...and I'll open up the nut cable hole size on my lathe.

Mark

Richard/Mark thanks for your advice

Yes, I think I have ordered the wrong type. I have discovered that my plugs are for 2.8mm dia. Coax. The internals are not as yours Richard, there is a pin assembly that consists of small pin, and a teflon insulator between a thing that looks like an ice-cream cone with the bottom cut off (thus creating a hole). The insulation of the inner wire goes into the hole, the shielding rides up the cone. The nut clamps the shielding onto the cone. I think I will be wasting my time trying to fit 5mm cable into a 3mm hole and 3.5mm inner insulation into a 2mm hole. I only decided to buy them very quickly on the phone when the girl from Farnell told me the op amps and DILs I had ordered hadn’t reached the minimum order value. Next time I order some equipment I will send them back and get the correct type(now that I know what I’m doing).

Ahhh - they are a bit funny aren't they. As I've said before, you're welcome to my spare pair if it will help.

[EDIT] - just had a look at the Farnell catalogue, and can't see any solder type BNC plugs there - only jacks and panel mounted things. I got mine from CPC - part number CN00703

R

advertisement

Back