advertisement

500 quid...

David F

pfm Member
Hi

As in title I have been given a bit of dosh to do just what I like with.

Hitting on a D70/D50 off e bay was my first thought. I ve always fancied a pop at one (apols to Mr C. I know a canon man).

I was just wondring what my best options are here, has anyone had good, bad , indiferent experinces buying that way?

I'm really not sure whcich way to play this as yet and i'm not doing anything for a moment but i'm intereted in ideas +good bad stories.

New/s.h./refurb etc (old prof dslr amy be)

tia

D.

NO, my mistake.

I think the thing top do is to wait for an offer on a d4o or a d6o. You do see them.

Then pick up a nice lens to replace the kit one.

Maybe that's the best way to come up to date with the technology (screen size/start up speed/view finder etc which are issues on my 5700)

David,

In my opinion the days of people looking after DSLRs has passed - they are cheap enough now that people tend not to look after them. So basically on eBay you'll get a mixture of decent and not-so-decent condition cameras for sale. Early pro models will have either been owned and used by a pro (lots of use, somewhat beaten up, but otherwise working) and rich amateur (little use but otherwise pristine). As the price has come down in for new models the cost advantage of buying second hand is getting squeezed though, so there are risks and little cost benefit.

I have bought two DSLRs second hand. I bought a Canon 10D off an enthusiast when the newer 20D was released. He was upgrading, and had had the 10D for 18 months or so. I met him in London and he had the box, receipt, unused strap etc. He was very pleased someone was going to take care of his old camera, and this has proven to be a very reliable purchase. I guess i've had it for 4/5 years or something like that.

The other camera, a Canon 1D Mark II was bought off Park Cameras when the 1D Mark III was released. The one I bought was pristine, very exposures, so I assume was in the 'rich amateur' category from someone who was upgrading to the latest model. This again was a good buy, and has given me a couple of years of reliable snapping.

I think both purchases are the best way - basically buying from a keen amateur who is upgrading to the latest model. By being just off the pace technology wise you save a packet and if you are buying from the original owner I think you get a feeling the camera is more likely to have been looked after.

Cesare

yeah, my 2p worth...I've got a cheap body (canon 400d) and some pretty good lenses - tho, I did get them cheaply...i.e. a sigma 30mm f1.4 (rrp nigh on 500 notes when it first came out, tho, can be had for 300+ now) - I paid something like 140...and a tamron 28-75mm xr di f2.8 which I paid less thaN 200 iirc...

David,

In my opinion the days of people looking after DSLRs has passed - they are cheap enough now that people tend not to look after them. So basically on eBay you'll get a mixture of decent and not-so-decent condition cameras for sale. Early pro models will have either been owned and used by a pro (lots of use, somewhat beaten up, but otherwise working) and rich amateur (little use but otherwise pristine). As the price has come down in for new models the cost advantage of buying second hand is getting squeezed though, so there are risks and little cost benefit.

I have bought two DSLRs second hand. I bought a Canon 10D off an enthusiast when the newer 20D was released. He was upgrading, and had had the 10D for 18 months or so. I met him in London and he had the box, receipt, unused strap etc. He was very pleased someone was going to take care of his old camera, and this has proven to be a very reliable purchase. I guess i've had it for 4/5 years or something like that.

The other camera, a Canon 1D Mark II was bought off Park Cameras when the 1D Mark III was released. The one I bought was pristine, very exposures, so I assume was in the 'rich amateur' category from someone who was upgrading to the latest model. This again was a good buy, and has given me a couple of years of reliable snapping.

I think both purchases are the best way - basically buying from a keen amateur who is upgrading to the latest model. By being just off the pace technology wise you save a packet and if you are buying from the original owner I think you get a feeling the camera is more likely to have been looked after.

Cesare

Good advise C.

I've been looking at a few on e bay which clearly fall into the catagories you mention.

I think you can argue it both ways, pick up a good new offer or, like you say, buy just off the pace (good expression).

mmc007....Yes the auto focus on the D40/D60 is a hassle.

It would be nice to do something, my 5700 start-up speed (or lack of) has lost many pics. Shame because otherwise it makes a nice job of stuff.

David,

It's not so much of a hassle, as there are plenty of lenses available with AF motors in them, you just need to be aware of the issue.

Good luck with your choice.

Nigel.

If I was buying second hand at this price level I would be looking at the Nikon D200 - no problem fitting most lenses to that body. The Sigma 18-50 EX DC (with or without the motor) is a good match. A decent 35mm prime lens would be my preference though.

If I was buying second hand at this price level I would be looking at the Nikon D200 - no problem fitting most lenses to that body. The Sigma 18-50 EX DC (with or without the motor) is a good match. A decent 35mm prime lens would be my preference though.

Doesn't that suffer the same problem as the d70??

i.e. old

Doesn't that suffer the same problem as the d70??

i.e. old

New does not necessarily mean better. The Leica M7 is newer than the M6 but they still take more or less identical photos.

What Nikon have been doing over the past 5 years is taking basically the same concept - 12 megapixels - that they had on the D2X and producing ever smaller and less functional cameras resulting in the D5000. What extra functions have been added while taking others away are basically not necessary for still photography - eg the ubiquitous movie mode.

I don't think there is any material difference in image quality between a D200, a D300 and a D5000, but the advantage of the D200 over the feature challenged cameras like the D60 is that it has the autofocus motor capability in the body and it can meter correctly with AIS lenses.

The only risk in buying an older body is that it may be damaged in some way by the previous owner, but if you look on ebay you can get "as new" D200s for less than £500 and used ones for about £300

Incidentally the 10mp sensor in the D200 is a lot better than the 6mp sensor in the D70. The D200 only came out 3 and a bit years ago. The D80 was the equivelent consumer model the D70 having been around for a few years already.

cheers
Cliff

advertisement

Back