advertisement

50 years strong - Camel On Tour 2023

simon g

Older, wiser but no longer retired
Just a heads up for those that haven't seen this. One of my favourite bands, Camel, are on tour again in 2023. Their last tour "Moonmadness" was a belter. This next tour could well be their last. I've booked tickets and the venue had already sold many tickets, even though it's 18 months away!

https://www.camelproductions.com/

I'm a fan of Camel and see them on most tours. The last time I went was at the Albert Hall with the latest line-up I think. Bought the moon madness t-shirt. I'm thinking of going to this one, but to be honest I'm not sure I like the new vocalist, he hasn't won me over. I love the venue (Hammersmith Odeon) but wonder if they're past it now.

If Andy had released a new album I would definitely have gone... even put up with the new vocalist.

I hope Andy gives us a new album before finally retiring.

Their best show in last two decades was the Astoria.... It still lives large in my memory.... Andy was absolutely superb that night.... The venue helped I reckon.

The Astoria concert was a gem - I remember it well, and the CD of that tour is well worth it. I think it was one of the last concerts hosted there before it was demolished for Crossrail.

I bought tickets for the last tour in Southampton, but as I bought them so far in advance, I completely forgot. The next thing I know is an email from Ticketmaster asking me to review the concert! Bollocks!

I've put this new date into my Outlook calendar with a reminder set at one week before, just in case.

Thinking on it, I've never seen them live!
I definitely have Mirage, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Snow Goose and Nude.
Any other essentials?

You certainly have all my favourites. I personally love Nude since this was my first Camel album purchase as a youth and I went to Hammersmith to see that tour. Nude is beautifully produced in all the connotations of that word, from the genius concept to every song and note its perfectly captured by all the players and engineers. The cover art, everything is truly perfect. The band are at their peak here, even more so than Snow Goose, although that is a completely different animal and very worthy of its multiple platinum status.

I also love Moonmadness and the bands photo on the inside is memorable, I'm certain they were all stoned while making that album, in a wonderfully relaxed, warm hearted and uplifting way.

I could go on and on describing how I feel about each album... So I'll stop there.

I would add the Single Factor to your collection, it's different with some vocals by Chris Rainbow. The first side is faultless, my favourite is No Easy Answers.

I would also add A Nod and Wink which is their latest album and here there are a couple of truly outstanding tracks. For Today is where Andy takes on the mighty David Gilmour style of guitar (IMHO) ....and in my book matches if not betters that god of prog guitar. Then there is the track Simple Pleasures which is clearly a Camel track with genius chord changes and wonderful juxtaposition. This album's production is heavenly, boy does it sound good. Andy must have been in a mellow if not a bit downbeat mood while writing this one.

Should I hold out hope for a new album?

If I go to Hammersmith later this year... I'll shout out as loud as I can for a new album... I hope he hears me.

Good to read some Camel discussion. I saw them on the Moonmadness tour first after my brother had bought a copy of Mirage at university. I subsequently saw them on every tour up to and including Stationary Traveler and pretty much enjoyed them all.

Since Andy went to the States (and then back) I've been mostly dissapointed with the output and so have never seen the tours and decided not to so to the 50th anniversary one.

I agree with nostromo that The Single Factor is a good one to get, but I would also vote for Rain Dances as the loss of Ward/Ferguson was really covered well with some superb tracks.

CHE

Thinking on it, I've never seen them live!
I definitely have Mirage, Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Snow Goose and Nude.
Any other essentials?
The above mentioned ‘Coming of Age’ is a knockout live album. The beginning of Lunar Sea requires turning up to 11 and the rendition of Ice is the best.
Otherwise, try Harbour of Tears. Very proggy.

The above mentioned ‘Coming of Age’ is a knockout live album. The beginning of Lunar Sea requires turning up to 11 and the rendition of Ice is the best.
Otherwise, try Harbour of Tears. Very proggy.
I have to agree... Peter Bardens had a unique talent and his keyboard playing is sublime, for me it's easy to spot if Bardens is on the album or not. Lunar sea was one of his great high points.

He was a big loss to the band... and the world. On this note, Andy Ward's drumming was sublime too and his loss was greatly missed by the band and me too. I recall a show (probably Hammersmith) where Andy Ward was in the audience and Latimer gave him a great tribute, the crowd applauded and cheered with gusto. I think Latimer had leukemia several years ago and was out of action for years, but he seems to have made a great recovery. I also recall Andy Latimer falling out with the record company, he may have set up his own label but I'm not sure on that.

I don't know what it was about the late sixties to the mid 80s but prog rock had some very talented musicians and the bands played live every year with albums galore coming out. This maybe just rose tinted reminiscing... But I'd like to see it all come back around once more.... Different times.

Just looking at the ticket prices for Hammersmith.
Best seats Stalls & Circle £107!
Am I being tight or is that a bit steep - not to mention shelling out 16 months before the gig?

This is probably a reply to the last two posts. In the old days, bands made money selling albums, and the concerts were just a way of promoting them.
Now they make next to nothing on music, so the only way many of them can continue is from concert tickets. I don’t begrudge them that, but it would be better if they took the money nearer the time. But I suppose my credit cards will probably run out before then!

I get that but I think that sort of pricing will almost guarantee that they don't sell the gig out.
For me and I'm sure many others it represents a trip down memory lane - compare to a band like Caravan (of the same era) who are playing Union Chapel Islington in October for £30 or Jethro Tull who I saw recently at Shepherds Bush for £45.

I hope it goes ahead, always wanted to see Camel perform. Andy Latimer is underrated as a guitarist in my opinion, he deserves more recognition. Stationery Traveller is one of my favourites.

From the Camel Productions website this is the statement, it sounds rather serious for Andy. I hope he comes though.

tourheadspacer.gif

CAMEL TOUR 2023

It is with great sadness and regret that Camel Productions must announce the cancellation of Camel's 2023 tour. Shortly after rehearsals, Andrew Latimer became troubled by a sharp pain in his lower back that advanced into his leg and foot. He was sent for diagnostic tests which quickly revealed a severe condition that requires urgent surgery. Recovery time is uncertain and it is this uncertainty that prevents us looking at other options such as postponement. However recovery is suggested to take 8-12 weeks minimum so there is no possibility of Andrew continuing with the tour. And without Andrew, there can be no tour so cancellation is unavoidable.

We know this news will be immensely upsetting to fans as it is to the band. We are all so grateful for the support of fans who purchased tickets and particularly appreciative of the many emails from fans near and afar who shared their excitement. Throughout his career, Andrew Latimer has had numerous physical challenges on tours and has always overcome them. Camel look to the future for another opportunity to write The Final Chapter.

advertisement

Back