advertisement

50 coolest song parts...

From a RUsh point of view i love Tom Sawyer but prefer the intro to Countdown off Signals album , listening to the Astronauts on SS Columbia with helicoptors buzzing overhead.

Also I like the US warner Bros NMTB cover ( used to have one years ago) i think that the unmistakable and instantly recognisable guitar intro to Pretty Vacant is better than Anarchy, still sends a shiver 26 years later. A pity they never made a different 12" version. I reckon that intro would be brill if they stretched out the solo guitar and then brought the other instruments in one at a time over a longer time period.

Wow - I agree with quite a few of them (even Boy Named Sue!).

Some things I would include:

Gillan singing "why should I die?" on Jesus Christ Superstar. Also screaming on Child in Time (In Rock) and duelling with Ritchie Blackmore on Strange Kind of Woman (Made in Japan).

The sax bit on Baker Street (though I can't listen to it these days).

George Harrison on Badge (Cream).

Can anyone come up with a definitive top ten?

But of course ;) Here are the first five in no particular order:

The perfect ‘bosh’ on the cymbal as Miles Davis’s So What kicks in.

The pause between “A loaded gun won’t set you free” and “…so you say” on Joy Division’s New Dawn Fades.

The stripped out and stunningly beautiful bass line that links the first two bits of Soap Shop Rock on Amon Düül II’s Yeti.

The astoundingly tortured trombone mid way through side one of Mingus’s Black Saint.

The closing few seconds of Can’s Oh Yeah where Holgar slightly changes the bass line and truly propels it towards the fade.

Tony.

With you on Pretty Vacant, Sid.

The first 40 seconds or so of Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd is a fabulous raw guitar riff, even better when the drums kick in. But about 40 seconds into it, it descends into beepy squonky drug addled tuneless weirdness for the remainder of the track until the riff reprises at the end.

Mind you in my old age I'm actually getting to like the five minutes or so of strangeness in between.

Oh and that opening chord to Hard Days Night by the Fab Four.

But about 40 seconds into it, it descends into beepy squonky drug addled tuneless weirdness for the remainder of the track until the riff reprises at the end.

And the problem is what exactly?

Tony.

Originally posted by Tony L
And the problem is what exactly?

Tony.

None whatsoever, but when I was a teenager I wasn't ... er ... mature enough to appreciate it :) So it appeared on numerous compilation tapes of mine ... but only the first 40 seconds :)

Hawkwinds Silver Machine. I always consider that the intro is a small flying saucer spaceship flitting and darting about, especially when it fades out then back in again.

The footstomping from Queen's We will rock you, sorry its an intro for me again :eek:

Thin Lizzy, Whiskey in the Jar (o?).

intros, intros, intros

Next 5:

The astounding bowed guitar at the beginning of Svefn-g-englar by Sigur Rós from the album Agætis Byrjun - some of the most beautiful sounds anyone has got out of a electric guitar to date.

The time in your life when you realise that the first 4 bars of Get it on by T. Rex really is the greatest song intro in pop history.

The point about 5 minutes into Hallogallo by Neu! when you finally click that this amazing ever-evolving and totally transfixing music is actually E major the whole way through.

The chilled spiritual conga driven groove that kicks off Inner city blues from Marvin Gaye’s What’s going on.

The one chord ‘da da da-da-da’ guitar riff that makes up most of Wire’s Being sucked in again from Chairs Missing.

Job done.

Tony.

I remember Van Halen's first album making a big impact: Starts off with dive bomber on the wangy bar, then 1 bar of plodding bass bottom E, and then the purest rock guitar riff imaginable. All so simple, but impossible to play properly. It really was a kick up the arse for anybody who had got a bit complacent.

Love to Love and Try Me off UFO's Lights Out album have brill Schenker guitar solos.

How's about the beginning of Close To The Edge (Yes): synthesised twittering alien bird sounds build up into crescendo and then breaks into Ricky bass line slowly going 3 octaves up a scale whilst guitar does strange things and drums play in a completely different time signature.

The beginning of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is cool too - it sits on one chord for ages and then finally finesses into the one you knew was going to come all along.

If everything is sorted he walks out of nowhere and blows you away. My copy is mono and the impact may be better for that.

Paul

The noodly guitar intro to Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond ptII," against a backdrop of sonorous synths, and then that fabulous picked chord.

Floyd have lots of great moments, it's just their songs that are crap.

Guitar Intro to REM's Fall on Me from Life's Rich Pageant.

Max Roach's drum intro to St. Thomas on Saxaphone Collossus.

Opening sax riff on David Murray's Morning Song from Lp of the same name.

Orchestral climax in the Simple Gifts portion from Copland's Appalachian Spring.

Guitar intro to most Pixie's songs :) .

Drum opening to Joy Division's Atmosphere.

"You are sleeping, you do not want to believe, you are sleeping..."

"Hey Poor. Hey Poor. You don't gotta be poor no more. Jesus is here..."

The opening few seconds of Brand X first album, first track "Nuclear Burn" raises the hairs.

The end of "Goodbye Lucille #1", Prefab Sprout and the end of Lambchops "The New Cobweb Summer"; now there's sublime.

Cheers,

Floyd have lots of great moments, it's just their songs that are crap.
Agreed - Wish You Were Here is the only album I can listen to.
(I also like the line "by the way, which one's Pink?")

Originally posted by Uncle Ants

Mind you in my old age I'm actually getting to like the five minutes or so of strangeness in between.

Welcome to old age Ants!

The metronomic beat of 'Brand New Life' by Young Marble Giants.

The way Maja Ratkje sings 'Where is it now' on the track Voice from the album Voice.

The Pixies 'You fecking die' interlude on Surfer Rosa.

The backward drums kicking in on Acid Mother Temple's 'Supernal Infinite Space' from the 'Absolute freak out (zap you mind)' lp.

The cheap keyboard drone appearing at the end of Salvatore's 'Halloo!'

advertisement

Back