advertisement

4x RCA to 5 pin DIN connector colour question

Colonel_Mad

pfm Member
Back in the days I had a tape player in my Naim system I had a Chord 4x RCA to 5 pin DIN cable to play and record through the Naim amp.

I need to reconnect it briefly. Does anyone know the RCA connector colour scheme details? They are black, red, blue and yellow. I need to know which is play output (Left and Right) and record input (Left and Right).

Anyone know?

Jonathan

I have a similar connector that goes between my Meridian 101 pre-amp and a Nakamichi tape deck. The colours are: black, left output from tape deck, yellow right output. Red, right input to tape deck, white left input. You can (cautiously) test the tape outputs by highly touching the phonos with the DIN end plugged into the amp - a gentle hum will appear. Did I mention cautiously? Volume well down!

Red and black are Chord's standard Rch and Lch playback colours on their RCA plug ends. Can't recall which is Lch vs Rch record wrt yellow and blue, however, if you simply wish to test the cable prior to selling it on it shouldn't matter which way round the channels are as long as they all show continuity.

If using a multimeter, red and black RCA +ve (i.e. centre pins) should show continuity with DIN pins 1 and 4 respectively, whereas, yellow and blue should have continuity with pins 3 and 5 (plug face pin numbers illustrated below). Which of yellow vs. blue connect to pins 3 vs. 5 will let you know the record side channel pattern. All RCA -ve (rings) should show continuity with DIN pin 2.

DIN 41 524 (DIN5 180º) wiring standard:
Unbalanced-5-pin-180-degree-DIN-connector-pinout-600x219.jpg

Last edited:
Just check it with a meter. You'll want to do that to the finished lead anyway to make sure it's all good before you plug it in.

In case anyone cares, or searches for this topic in future (probably me in 5 years time :)), on a Chord 4x RCA to 5-pin din interconnect, the RCA plug colour scheme is as follows:

Black - Left channel playback
Red - Right channel playback
Yellow - Left channel record input
Blue - Right channel record input

Should one happen to have an old Freitag Electronic 4450 Verbindung 1,5m lying about (remember these?) then the connections are wired as per the original DIN 41 524 (as diagramed for DIN5 above), with RCA/Cinch Plug colour to DIN pin connections as follows...

grau = 1
rot = 4
blau = 5
schwarz = 3
(masse = 2)​

(Yes, grau is grey, and may the schwarz be with you.)

On the other hand, the typical Chinese 4 x RCA to DIN5 are typically red, black, white, and yellow on the RCA ends, only they generally don't commit to describing which colours connect to which DIN pins. Must cut down on the on-line sales returns due to poor QC, that is, assuming there actually exists continuity someplace.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back