advertisement

4m high ceiling in a 3 x 3m room.

Chris

pfm Member
I live in the Canaries and a mate has just inherited a very small flat in the " old center". We set up his Sugden A21 Mk2 and Arros in the candidate room for his hifi and it sounded awful. Trash cymbals, no bass, hard, no soundstage
Might the 4metre ceiling have something to do with it and the 3m x 3m dimension and the hard floors and the grotty furnishing and the ................. ?
In other words, to start somewhere, what speakers might sound a bit more comfortable, if any ?

I’d start with rugs and soft furnishings.

Maybe rugs / curtains on the wall?

Either way, envious of what sounds a lovely location!

Every speaker will sound bad in a bad room and I'm afraid to say but 3m by 3m is as worse as it can be, very tiny room and squared size is nearly impossible to get real good sound from.

I don't wand to offend you Whaleblue but the other worst thing you can do is damping in only one part of the frequency range and with curtains and rugs you only lowering HF. In most cases the HF is good if you get the midrange and bass absorption right.

I have a small room too, 3,15m by 4,49m with 2,47m height. I have used many broad band absorber and used a rug too, because you always been told here that a rug is a good thing. It was quite the opposite, after removing it the sound improved a lot.

There are people who are telling, you have to eliminate first reflexions and that is 100% true but you have to do it over a wide frequency range not only in the HF and that is exactly what isn't been told or considered by most.

People often say that you can treat a bad room without using proper acoustic room treatment but the truth is it is only wishful thinking, because the laws of physic will dictate quality of the sound.

Sure you can listen in every room and without any room treatment but every system won't show its full potential because the room modes and reflexions are mudding the sound.

The problem is that most people never will known how good it can sound because they think that a normal living room ist good.

@Chris You can find very good information here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Acousticfields101/videos
and here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GlennKuras/videos

You can hear the difference between a untreated and (even no very good room) here:

I would start to set up the speakers with the centre between two walls, not they typical front, back and side walls, instead a diagonal as a rectangular (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say because I'm getting to the boarder of my English language skills.

My living room had a 6m ceiling and the bass was terrible. Most speakers depend on the ceiling. I put in a mezzanine and the bass is now excellent.

Cheap scaffolding and build a mezzanine level with old scaffolding planks with a futon laid out for guests to stay (or use for storage), hang rugs on the walls, probably won’t do anything for acoustics but will make it cosy :D

I live in the Canaries and a mate has just inherited a very small flat in the " old center". We set up his Sugden A21 Mk2 and Arros in the candidate room for his hifi and it sounded awful. Trash cymbals, no bass, hard, no soundstage
Might the 4metre ceiling have something to do with it and the 3m x 3m dimension and the hard floors and the grotty furnishing and the ................. ?
In other words, to start somewhere, what speakers might sound a bit more comfortable, if any ?

Why not take your speakers to his place for a listen?

Bigger speakers, always the answer :0)

You can get a hifi to sound ok in a small room, it's just not easy. In this case the room is not that small, more weird in that the ceiling is higher than the width of the room. Maybe it'll take different speakers, you'll probably have to experiment with different speaker positions, furnishings, but you will get it a lot better.

No offence taken @Old Shatterhand , however my advice might help address:

“Trash cymbals, ..., hard, no soundstage”

I also said it was a place to start.

I suspect the mezzanine idea suggested by others might be the OP’s friend’s best bet for improving bass. I just hope he does take up the rug advice, and make it a thick one, if that mezzanine is used as guest accommodation 2 metres up!

When we first moved to Malaysia, we rented a house with the "family room" at the top of the stairs, with a balcony looking down to a massive open plan living/dining room. This is a common configuration in Asia.
It was an acoustic disaster and as hot as hell as well.
After that acoustics was always on my mind when house hunting.

advertisement

Back