advertisement

42/110 vs 82/180

Seanf

pfm Member
I am finding myself drawn to chrome bumper Naim gear (probably because of my recent DIY streamer). There is a NAC 42 and NAP 110 up for grabs here and I'm tempted to go for it. I'm assuming that it would be quite a downgrade from my current amplification, which is a NAC 82 with Pardo DTC and NAP 180 with Avondale NCC220 boards, but would I be disappointed with the sound? What was the top of the pile preamp in CB days?

42/110 is very nice. But yes it’s a real downgrade from 82/180.

If your speakers are an easy load then the 42/110 might be fun for you. It they need some oomph it will sound flat in comparison. At least that’s been my experience.

would I be disappointed with the sound?

Good question which only yourself can answer.

With your CD, turntable and speakers, I'd doubt it would be a mismatch.

Their top preamp by then were 32 and later 32.5.

Even the age of four decades, I'd buy the CB, its unlikely depreciating but will need service if never done.

I’m a big fan of the 110 but I would say keep your 180 and the NCC boards, this amp is very very difficult to beat.
As for the preamp, the 42 is "lively" but not that good IMO and again, your 82 will do a better job overall.

Its interesting Naim did Nac 42, 42.5, later 62 and 92 entrylevel preamps, very near the same layout throughout two decades, they say.
The non-succesfull 112/112X followed by 122x and finally 152xs, that was seven or eight entry level preamps, no mention of the old 22 and N172.

There will soon be a new 222

The best "affordable" Naim preamp were the 32.5 and 72 IMO, even more true when driven with a Hicap or a similar separate power supply.

I’m a big fan of the 110 but I would say keep your 180 and the NCC boards, this amp is very very difficult to beat.
As for the preamp, the 42 is "lively" but not that good IMO and again, your 82 will do a better job overall.
That's where I'm torn. I adore my current set up, but am tempted to try something else. All my music is streamed now, the Rega and CDX never get used. Flogging that would pay for the CB. If it doesn't work, I can move it on.

I had a dual railed 12 (Class A mod) and have likened it to the 82. Powered by Avondale supplies, pair of TPX’s on 82 1 on 12.5 nothing in it for me. Added advantage of being able to swap cards in the 12 make it one of those items I regret selling.

advertisement

Back