advertisement

401 plinths

I think it's all part of the fun, when you buy one of the older idler-drives. As I said, I have a Loricraft skeletal plinth for the 401, but I also have a GL88, and for that I used an aluminium sub-frame, topped with a slate plinth. It took some experimenting to get the sound right to my ears, but well worth the effort.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjSNEuoa0PCWmUwBHDGC-iGqKli9

Hope the link works, a shot of my 401 in a cheepy Moldovan plinth finished with Danish oil an beeswax.

I agree it does take more than oil and wax to make a decent plinth, but after looking at more commercial plinths on the web I decided that an extra £450 for a lick of paint wasn't going to happen in my house.

I also put a set of Audio Physic feet on the plinth, I felt that sorbothane balls wouldn't support the weight properly.

The 401 has a 12 inch pu7 and a Dls 1 and the lp12 has a Morsch up4 with a Benz wood ls, sorely in need of retipping or replacing it's getting a bit soft.

I take it that my link worked, a surprise there then.

The 401 has a 12 inch pu7 and a Dls 1 and the lp12 has a Morsch up4 with a Benz wood ls, sorely in need of retipping or replacing it's getting a bit soft.

I take it that my link worked, a surprise there then.

The plinth looks great , really nice set up

Hope the link works, a shot of my 401 in a cheepy Moldovan plinth finished with Danish oil an beeswax.

I agree it does take more than oil and wax to make a decent plinth, but after looking at more commercial plinths on the web I decided that an extra £450 for a lick of paint wasn't going to happen in my house.

I also put a set of Audio Physic feet on the plinth, I felt that sorbothane balls wouldn't support the weight properly.

Looks really nice Dougie. How does it sound? I had a 401 a few years back, and was always fretting about the plinth and whether or not it could be improved. Between that and the need to regularly oil bits'n'bobs led me to throw in the towel and go back to Rega. But still the hankering for a 401!

Sounds better than my Linn to be honest, at least it's the one I use most of the time. As I said earlier my Benz is sounding off, but then I've had it a few years now.

I've got a mono Hana I'm going to put on the Linn I'll report back on that later. I looked through my lp's and found around 60 albums that are definatly and some older 50-60's albums that aren't identified as mono so we'll see how it goes.

Looks pretty good, the Martin Bastin plinths (£££) look the same! Got any pics from the top? Is is standard cut out? Also what thickness is it, I wanna order one.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjSNEuoa0PCWmwFPP0m2uWyX19D2

Pictured is the armboard, when I got the plinth there were 3 supplied as standard, don't know if that's still the case. There are also holes drilled in the underside so feet can be fitted, m8 thread. Mine takes a 12 inch arm but he also does a 9 inch. I can't supply photos of the basic plinth as I don't have any but it's a standard fit, you don't have to modify any thing. The only thing I had to do was to rub it down to remove any roughness prior to staining. But you have the option of any finish you want. Good luck I'm sure you'll be happy in the end.

If you fancy a home grown alternative you could try Carl Ellis. He usually resides on the Lenco Heaven forum and builds plinths for Lencos, Garrards etc. I bought a plinth from him last year for my son's Lenco as I just didn't have the time to make another. It cost me £120 and I was more than happy with it. I'd deffo buy another if I needed one.

According to his facebook page,Handmade Turntable Plinths, due to health reasons Carl has had to put a hold on new orders for a while. Wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Can you add a link to the feet you used please

The feet are Audio Physic loud speaker feet. Around £100 for a set of four. I got them from Audio Emotion 01333425999 , ask to speak to Gary and mention my name, I might get a cup of tea the next time I'm along. They else do other feet at around £350 but that's too rich for me.

Frankie, sorry, it seems that your post seems to have been taken over by my experiences, but that's how things happen occasionally, not normally by me though.

According to his facebook page,Handmade Turntable Plinths, due to health reasons Carl has had to put a hold on new orders for a while. Wish him well and a speedy recovery.

That's not good news. I hope he gets back on his feet soon. Unfortunately I don't do Facebook and I haven't been on LH for a while either.

The feet are Audio Physic loud speaker feet. Around £100 for a set of four. I got them from Audio Emotion 01333425999 , ask to speak to Gary and mention my name, I might get a cup of tea the next time I'm along. They else do other feet at around £350 but that's too rich for me.

Frankie, sorry, it seems that your post seems to have been taken over by my experiences, but that's how things happen occasionally, not normally by me though.
On the contrary it all adds to the knowledge :)

advertisement

Back