advertisement

4-pin DIN to RCA question

gustav_errata

pfm Member
This is probably a stupid question, but erring on the side of caution: are all cables that are terminated with 4-pin DIN on one end and male RCA on the other end created equal, with regards to wiring (not cable "quality")? Or is there a difference, i.e. DIN-to-RCA and RCA-to-DIN?

When I bought my Naim pre/power pair, the seller threw in such a cable. I assume it is used only for plugging a different preamp into the power amp, since plugging the current preamp (NAC 122X) into a different power amp would need a power supply which also should connect via the DIN. But given that the power amp does supply power through that 4-pin DIN, I'm cautious about what gets plugged into it. Can I assume the DIN-to-RCA simply doesn't connect the power to anything?

I ask because I'm on the list to try out the EWA Claymore, and I would like to test it also as a pre-amp into the Naim (just for fun) but since I don't know the provenance of this cable and I don't want to destroy a loaner amp, I thought I would ask.

Edit to stress: I am not talking about "directionality" of the cable itself, but whether, given the power supply being sent through the DIN terminus, there are different ways of terminating the cable such that which end is which matters.

Naim 4 pin DIN pinouts are different from Quad 4 pin DIN pinouts, I know that much. Be careful.

OK probably not worth the risk then.
A quick test using a multimeter will tell all you need know about safety here.

The DIN pin that carries 24V from NAP to NAC need be disconnected, either at the DIN plug end, or via the relevant wire not contacting with any metal at the RCA ends (i.e. a quick and safe way to convert one end of SNAIC4 to RCA would include simply snipping this wire short at the RCAs end and insulating within the shrink wrap).

Taking NAP140 as example, the following graphic indicates the pinouts round back of the amplifier; +ve is the 24V out connection, whereas -ve connects to the outer cable screen and provides a shared return path for ch1 (Lch +ve), ch2 (Rch +ve), and 24V +ve combined. As long as +ve (24V) isn't connected at one end or the other, all will be fine.

NAP140-DIN-pin-outs.jpg

An RCA to DIN4 will require continuity between the following: RCA Lch +ve (centre pin of plug) to DIN ch1; RCA Rch +ve (centre pin of plug) to DIN ch2; and at least one of the RCA outer rings (-ve) need connect to DIN -ve (i.e. a pre-amp will typically bridge the Lch & Rch -ve within).

If you were to open the DIN plug and look at the solder bucket side, the pattern would be the same as that printed round back of the amp (as per the graphic above). When looking at the connecting pins side of the DIN plug on the cable, remember to reverse L to R.

P.S. If you have access to a multimeter, but are not familiar with using one to test for continuity, drop me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back