advertisement

4 pin din to rca diy

rodrigaj

Greetings. This is my first post here.

I make my own cables and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding making a 4 pin din to rca cable to go with a superline/teddycap phono kit. I have the necessary 5pin din cable.

Here is what I have come up with so far:
Switchcraft 3502A rca connectors
Switchcraft sc1559-ND din male plug
Mogami dual channel audio cable w3106

I would prefer to stay with usa vendors.

The products I listed above are based on cursory examination of a few websites I have used in the past and I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction that they tried and know works well - especially the bulk cable.

Sorry, I'm moving this to DIY. Moderator please delete.

I just used some moderately upmarket phono cables from a dealer at a show, worked fine. Soldering DINs is a bit fiddly as stated but take your time, use a fine tip, get everything TOTALLY clean and it's fine.

I just used some moderately upmarket phono cables from a dealer at a show, worked fine. Soldering DINs is a bit fiddly as stated but take your time, use a fine tip, get everything TOTALLY clean and it's fine.

I agree about the DINs. IMHO, the only way to do it right is with a resistance soldering setup. With the very fine needle point tweezer electrodes it takes one second to solder a joint. Costly, but well worth the expense.

In the world of high priced audio cables, it's nothing. My American Beauty setup paid itself back 2x over what some audio company quoted me for a Sennheiser HD800s balanced audio cable. From then on in it has been free.

Compared to SMD components, I find DIN connectors pretty easy to solder.

Compared to SMD components, I find DIN connectors pretty easy to solder.

Agree.

SMT was never intended to be soldered by hand. I know it can be done but I would never do it. The one time I came across a DIY project that had SMT (I think it was the Piccolo phono head amp) the seller sold the pc board with the SMT parts already soldered in place.

The larger, simple SMDs (such as 603 resistors) are OK to hand solder (with a magnifying glass and fine-tipped iron).

advertisement

Back