advertisement

3D Printed Turntable

That's the best they could come up with?
If you're going to make a toy I'd want something like a wind up gramophone. A sewing needle, a metal rod and a couple bearings could make something pretty neat. A clock spring, ratchet, music box style speed governor, horn, etc. could all be 3D printed...

When he introduced the model maker I thought he was going to put something amazing together. What a waste of a YouTube slot. Like a crap Fisher Price turntable, he said grumpily.

The principal has legs, the advance in 3D printer materials is quite impressive, been looking at them myself. Super stiff, strong and lightweight. Machines are not cheap though.

That print requires a larger than normal printer (about 2x the bed size of mine) and probably a week straight of printing. The cost in filament is probably £25 (1kg spool), not to mention electricity, the hardware, the Arduino, etc.

Hmmmm a bit too hobby for engineered parts, looking at Ultimaker or Markforged as pro kit.
Prusa makes several, that was just the cheapest one. Very highly rated for FDM printers. The one I use (Prusa i3 mk3) was rated by All3DP as the best 3D printer, best under $1000, best kit printer. Prusa prints the plastic components of the printers they ship on the same machines, which is interesting (stepper motors, metal frame, control boards, PSU, bearings, shafts, threaded rods, etc. are not 3D printed of course).

There are other printers designed for commercial use, some the size of vending machines, some using exotic tech and materials. But there's probably no need to spend multiple thousands for 3D printing unless you have very specific needs. If your aim is to make a turntable I wouldn't recommend 3D printing anyway.

advertisement

Back