advertisement

[WTD] 360K 5 1/4 inch Floppy Drive Buy or borrow

slavedata

pfm Member
I recently supplied an Osborne 1 portable computer to Tony that he has refurbished and got working. But we need boot floppies for the machine. I have a PC setup and software to produce these disks but the drive I tried for this fails (blown electrolytic capacitors on logic board)

Has anyone got a suitable floppy drive tucked away I can use? An hours use would see it then I can ship it back.
Thanks
Dave Slater

Don’t worry, its in the queue of things to do after the Apple II! I plan to temporarily fit a Gotek USB drive in place of drive B, boot from that (I have found boot images for it) and then write a set of disks to drive A from that. That way the disks will definitely be readable on the Osborne’s own drive as that will have created them.

It's been an interesting little project for me. I got in touch with a former colleague via a vintage computer site that I hadn't spoken to for over 30 years. He had some old drives in his garage and sent me a 360K & a 1.2Mb drive neither of which worked. I've set up a PC with free dos and wired in the 5 1/4 drive and downloaded the drive images plus the ID software it all works up to the point of actual write to drive. If I can find a suitable drive it would be nice to see it through to completion.

advertisement

Back