advertisement

301 envy...

Tony,
Have you thought about BSR? I have no idea if they are any good, but they are clearly based on Garrard with an idler motor. Not as good looking, though.

810-2.jpg

I am also Garrard envious. They are just too expensive for me at the moment. The 301 is far more expensive than the 401.

Tony, I saw that item as well. looks the dogs bits thats for sure.

However, the skeletal plinth is probably not ideal. Many report that the 301/401 need a very heavy plinth to prevent rumble.
I bet that rumbles like a train.

Tony, if you are really interested in a 301 I can put you in touch with a guy I recently bought a collection of those little A5 70s/80s Choice review/info books from.

He just bough a technics SL7 (needs the convenience and automation) and is about to sell his 301/SME3. The SME3 is dire in my view - probably 'the worst pickup arm in the world' ;)
but plenty of fools on ebay will pay good money for it.

PM if interested and I can put you in touch.

Rob.

Originally posted by Tony L
I'm suffering 301 envy again... cop for this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076616703&category=3283 Bet it goes for a absolute fortune.

Tony.

Probably, but I'd wager it's not really what you want if you want a manageable 301. Of course you could always keep the superflous stuff and put the 301 in a proper plinth (Bastin or Loricraft). I'd suggest you look for something a little less exotic in The Garrard 301/401 way. While it's undeniable that the 301 is more chic it's not according to Dr. Bastin the better engineered of the two platters. It might be arugable that the quality control was better, but, once again according to Dr. Bastin, the 401 is capable of more finesse. The 401s are generally cheaper too.

BTW, after having my 401 since 1999 I'm beginning to think the charges of Rumble aimed at the 401 are at least exagerrated if not downright false. I suspect it was just jealousy on the part of Ivor Tiefenbrun.

Anyway, since having my 401 I've not heard an LP12 that I would want in it's place.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi Tony,

here's an offer you might be interested in: you may remember I bought a 401 some time ago. Loricraft looked at it and gave it a general check-up and found it to be in ecxellent order. It is mounted in one of their skeletal plinths. There's an old thread somewhere with some photos.

I haven't yet got round to mounting an arm on it, but a fellow PF member kindly sold me a Zeta. I haven't mounted that arm yet as I was also still toying with the thought of putting an Aro on it.

How about I send turntable and arm to you and you run it alongside/compare it to your Linn? Should be interesting, seeing as you have a Zeta on your Linn. Timing and details to be discussed.

How about I send turntable and arm to you and you run it alongside/compare it to your Linn? Should be interesting, seeing as you have a Zeta on your Linn.

That is an incredibly generous offer, thank you. I’m more than a little concerned about trusting a deck like that to a courier – it seems a large risk on your part just to satisfy my curiosity.

Where are you based? Would it be feasible to bring the deck round? (I’m currently in Merseyside but moving to deepest Lancashire as soon as my flat sells).

Tony.

Markus,
I'll be in Europa for a few days in April and will happily take you up on your generous offer for comparison against my P25 (tough job, but I'm up to the task).Happy to travel (or you're quite welcome to visit while I'm at Rue du Bellechasse).
Return guranteed circa 2034 :D

Tony, the point about couriers and risk is valid. I'll have to give it some thought. Someone I know will be in Britain this summer and might be able to help out with transport. I'll have to check where exactly that person will be going.

Joel, could you return it by 2033? Otherwise, if you can make it to Düsseldorf, I'll be happy to play you the 401 and a Nouvelle Platine Verdier. I'm sure we'll find you some interesting records to play.

Originally posted by Markus Sauer

Joel, could you return it by 2033? Otherwise, if you can make it to Düsseldorf, I'll be happy to play you the 401 and a Nouvelle Platine Verdier. I'm sure we'll find you some interesting records to play.
Markus,
As I can't promise to return it before 2034, the listening offer is a deal. Can't promise to make it over there this year, unfortunately, but I can promise a very Parisian time of it if you happen to be in the vicinity of the 15eme mid-April.
I have soft and very cuddly memories of your town and one female Duzeldörfer in particular :)

Joel, I may actually be in France around the time you mention. My cousin lives in Nevers. Shouldn't be too much of a problem passing through Paris. I'll keep you in mind, and if my visit actually happens, I'll page or mail you.

advertisement

Back