advertisement

301 colour

I'd go the original colour, but that's just me. Ian, I'd paint it whatever colour you want, it's your property and as such you can do whatever you like with it.

If you fancy a change of colour, for for it. In your position I'd certainly go for it - think I might start with contemporary paint tones - e.g. paint charts for cars of the 50s.

Thinking of which , how about that lovely pale duck-egg blue Morris Minors used to occasionally appear in? or Clarendon Grey?

If you fancy a change of colour, for for it. In your position I'd certainly go for it - think I might start with contemporary paint tones - e.g. paint charts for cars of the 50s.

Thinking of which , how about that lovely pale duck-egg blue Morris Minors used to occasionally appear in? or Clarendon Grey?

One of the nicest 301's I've came across was in the original cream colour but mounted in a compact radius corned painted plinth quite close in colour to the pale blue of the Moggy, it had an early SME tonearm, it had a lovely 50's look.

I still have @Whaleblue's black CTC 301 in SMD slate plinth.
Looks good to me. :)
IMG-20230106-104956383.jpg

On reflection I’d still go for Burnt Orange, but in a finish more aligned with the original - what is that, a deep silk?

My pal with the powder coating business did some speaker stands in hammered copper. Definitely a finish on my shortlist.

I like the blue Paul. I can’t recall what your fireplace looks like, could you send me a pic.

If I wasn't going to opt for an original colour either cream or the grey I'd definitely stick to a 'period correct' colour.

Another factor that one might want to consider when approaching a repaint is the fact that the deck should not stand out too much compared to the color of the other devices of the system (almost all of them are black and various shades of grey, aside from the spakers). An automotive color isn't necessarily a good match for a turntable...I resprayed some Thorens TD 124 in black, Mercedes matte metallic grey, BMW Carbon black. I would have loved to do something less "dull" but everytime I visualized the deck in my mind I knew it would just not look right (too much automotive and too little hifi). Hope I could explain what I mean.

Music is about innovation and has always challenged old stick in the muds.

If the OP is going to do it, then do it properly, I recommend Bubblegum Pink which would look dead cool. The tone arm should be coloured to match.

You may notice my old Sunbeam S7 in the avatar (now sold on) is in the standard Mist Green. Sunbeam were part of the BSA group who only sold their bikes in standard colours. Sunbeam sold the S7 in Mist Green" or black and the S8 in "Silver Grey" or black. However the customer could order the Sunbeams in any colour they wanted but unfortunately the old stick in the mud customers in the UK played safe and nearly always ordered in the standard colours. The American customers who were more adventurous ordered in nearly every colour under the sun.

Possibly we need to Americanise a bit.

advertisement

Back