advertisement

301 colour

iansr

pfm Member
I’m going to get my 301 chassis repainted, well powder coated to be more precise. I can pretty much choose any colour I want and even have a hammered finish. I’m slightly torn between replicating one of the original colours such as the hammered grey or ivory, or just going for something I really like but unrelated to the Garrard tradition. I’m not a purist and I’m inclining towards the just picking a colour I like. But I’m curious as to whether there is a consensus amongst those interested in the subject.

So go on, tear into me if you are minded to;)

I’d personally go with whatever your serial number shipped with. With an absolute design classic like a 301, 124 etc they just look hopelessly wrong in other colours. Their original finish is part of what makes them such iconic design statements. It is the equivalent of refinishing an Eames Recliner or an E-Type in fluorescent orange or whatever. It will also unquestionably lose you value when you come to sell as chances are the buyer will factor-in the price of restoring to the original finish. I’d really not compromise here and aim at a proper restoration. It will look the best and retain/add the most value.

I agree with Tony. I’ve come across green Duals and ReVox turntables. Wrong indeed.
A friend had a beautifully restored black TD124. Odd.
One exception, the chrome plated Duals look gorgeous. So it has to be creamy white or grey hammerite.

If it was me I`d definitely go for the original Ivory but your the one paying for it and living with it so get what pleases you. I`m sure Tony is right about resale value but you`re not doing it for resale are you?

I had one from Audio Grail done in a pearlescent cream colour. Given the choice, I’d agree with TonyL - get it in the original production colour.

If you ever plan to sell it, forget fancy colours. There's been a blue hammerite one floating around more than one auction house, no real interest and unsold.

I would have a black CTC if one came along, but original 301 I’d keep original. I’d also only get it painted if it’s really ratty. The mechanics can be brought back to as new condition, an aged chassis is no detriment.

Do what makes you happy - it’s your turntable! Personally I actually don’t like the 301 cream tones. I just did a search to see if I could find something I liked and I LOVE this gloss black one here (last image on the page) now that looks great! Imagine that within a walnut plinth! :D

Was this ever a factory finish?

found another pic..

https://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/about-us/

I agree with this lot, and that black finish does look cracking. I don't think the original 301 finishes are especially attractive and if it has to be repainted then go for whatever you fancy. Of course you'd want to be confident that the paint shop will do a 1st class job of it.

As others have said, get what YOU like and not what other people might. I saw a Loricraft 401 restored in a burgundy and cream, the colours of the Troughline II, it looked fantastic. Get what you want, it's your deck. To all the naysayers talking about originality, it's a paint job. If you or any subsequent owner wants to return to original, you can.

Oh, and the blue Hammerite 301 that's not selling is because blue Hammerite is awful on anything.

As close to the original colour as possible is the only answer. To do anything else is sacrilege, IMHO.

I'm very much a leftfieldist , paint it in a colour you love and will give you pleasure . Revel in it's uniqueness . The world doesn't need more sheep and its only a bloody record player .

As close to the original colour as possible is the only answer. To do anything else is sacrilege, IMHO.
Sacrilege? It's a sodding record player, not the Turin Shroud.

Practical note - if you do use powder coat, depending on the quality, it may have a slightly less flat surface than paint. You may like this. It will certainly have less gloss. I've powdered 2 bike frames, on both I have added a metallic lacquer that looks the mutt's and adds a bit more shine than basic powder.

If attempting to replicate the original cream it certainly has its own ‘thing’ and is a very thick enamel and is not mirror smooth by any stretch. I don’t know quite how to describe it, but it is very easy to get it wrong.

If attempting to replicate the original cream it certainly has its own ‘thing’ and is a very thick enamel and is not mirror smooth by any stretch. I don’t know quite how to describe it, but it is very easy to get it wrong.
My guess is that it's a high solids stove enamel finish. That will give a good build from one coat, with no subsequent flatting and polishing.

Sacrilege? It's a sodding record player, not the Turin Shroud.

It’s a sodding turntable motor unit actually - it’s not a sodding record player until you put it into a sodding plinth and add a sodding arm and cartridge.

But regardless, it’s a classic sodding design and part of that is down to the sodding colour, which should not be changed.

In my sodding opinion.

As to the paint finish, I had an interesting chat with Stuart McNeilis, head honcho of SME, a couple of years back about their 301 restorations. He said one of the most difficult jobs was matching the original paint finish and it took a hell of a lot of getting right.

I was aware there would be some who felt like this. I can’t relate to this at all. Resale value is the ONLY factor that might persuade me to go with an original colour, but then I have no plans to sell it. A Martin Bastin refurb, one of his plinth’s but incorporating panzerholz and a Supatrac 10.5” arm; I think it will probably see me out . . .

It’s a sodding turntable motor unit actually - it’s not a sodding record player until you put it into a sodding plinth and add a sodding arm and cartridge.

But regardless, it’s a classic sodding design and part of that is down to the sodding colour, which should not be changed.

In my sodding opinion.

As to the paint finish, I had an interesting chat with Stuart McNeilis, head honcho of SME, a couple of years back about their 301 restorations. He said one of the most difficult jobs was matching the original paint finish and it took a hell of a lot of getting right.
And the man can paint his record player any colour he sodding likes. If he subsequently sells it to Stuart McNellis then he'll know what paint to use it he wants to go back.

advertisement

Back