Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] 300B amp on a budget

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Colin131, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

I’m also looking for a 300B SE amp that hopefully won’t break the bank.

A few years ago several J Soundlabs 300B amps were sold on forums for £500 or so. Not sure if they are any good but seemed like a good deal. Might anyone have something like that?

There is also a guy on eBay (Wynne Roberts) selling new 300B amps for pretty cheap but I’ve no idea if it’s any good.

If you have anything suitable please let me know.

Cheers

Colin

2. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

3. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Thanks, yes this is the Chinese amp I was talking about. They were being sold on eBay for £600 built a while back, which seems very cheap. Price went up recently. I checked with the seller and the mains transformer is defo for 220V which might be ok if your mains was on the lower side of 240 but would need to use an small step down bucking tranny if mains voltage was on the higher side. Mine is near to 250V so I’d need one, which I actually have already.

They are also sold as kits on AliExpress. The seller on eBay builds them, adds a few upgrades (different coupling caps and pot) and reckons it’s a good as more pricey amps he tried, so it could be worth trying.

If anyone has anything else then please let me know (300B integrated or power amp, or monoblocks)

I’d probably prefer something cheaper but also willing to spend a bit more if necessary. Maybe up to around £1K

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  4. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

There's a pair of Avondale m130 amps on eBay at the moment for £600 ono

These have got to be the bargain of the week ?

And as a huge plus....they are NOT Chinese

5. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

6. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Col, There is no such thing as a cheap 300B amp. The valves themselves are £100 to £140 odd each. Even if you somehow managed to get something that 'worked' then you'll need high efficiency speakers that will cost £1000's to pair with the amp. You'll end up listening to the output transformers, rather than the valves themselves anyway. Forget it

7. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

To be fair that's about as cheap (and good) as you will ever find. Not SE though

8. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

That's what I thought, I didn't realised being single ended was a requirement

9. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

10. Colin131

Colin131 pfm Member

Salamander likes this.