advertisement

300b amp and 84 sensitivity speakers

Brian S

pfm Member
Am I risking damaging my low powered 300b amp by playing my 84 sensitivity speakers at low volume, just chamber music and small group jazz?

I am in the process of selling my Audiote j s and the 300b amp - ...perhaps!

Thanks for help.

BrianS

Thanks, very much, to all. I shall retain the excellent 300b, and cease the fruitless
search for small speakers offering 90 plus sensitivity.

Am I risking damaging my low powered 300b amp by playing my 84 sensitivity speakers at low volume, just chamber music and small group jazz?

I am in the process of selling my Audiote j s and the 300b amp - ...perhaps!

Thanks for help.

BrianS
As you probably know the Audio Note J are quite sensitive and made to go with lower powers valve amps.

If you've ever dipped your toe into some form of high-performance motor sport, you know: The best race-car engines spin torque and exhale horsepower—with intoxicating ease. They're engineered to be responsive. Depress the clutch, toe the throttle, and watch the tachometer instantly pin itself. Engage the clutch—your chest contracts and your head gets light. Then later . . .
Back in your Ford Fiesta, its revving engine sounds distant, muffled. Your body can't feel the powerplant's power. In gear, the Ford feels soft and hesitant, not responsive.

That's how Klipsch's highly responsive Reference Premiere RP-600M loudspeaker with its horn tweeter ($549/pair) compares to conventional box speakers with direct-radiating dome tweeters

If you've ever dipped your toe into some form of high-performance motor sport, you know: The best race-car engines spin torque and exhale horsepower—with intoxicating ease. They're engineered to be responsive. Depress the clutch, toe the throttle, and watch the tachometer instantly pin itself. Engage the clutch—your chest contracts and your head gets light. Then later . . .
Back in your Ford Fiesta, its revving engine sounds distant, muffled. Your body can't feel the powerplant's power. In gear, the Ford feels soft and hesitant, not responsive.

That's how Klipsch's highly responsive Reference Premiere RP-600M loudspeaker with its horn tweeter ($549/pair) compares to conventional box speakers with direct-radiating dome tweeters
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/
It’s a family affair,
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...klipsch-r-41m-bookshelf-speaker-review.11566/

Keith

Are the J's too large for your room?
Are the J's too large for your room?
I am glad you asked that. It sends me to guilty confession. No,they are not too big. They are superb speakers to my ears. The truth is, I have spent over thirty years with them in my field of vision. The current ones, my second pair. So my dilemma is, in part, visual. With the bloody virus and the aging process I now find myself spending three to four days a week here when I would have been cycling or walking. Purely by chance I had to take my main amp upstairs to a single bedroom and tried it with a pair of Spendor 3/5 R2s I was astonished. The listening experience was excellent: so good I bought a Graff amp and the upstairs room became an equal listening room, and I can gaze out over the field without the bloody speakers in my field of vision. I repeated the experiment with a pair of Spendor D1s in an alcove under the stairs, again excellent. So my temptation is to replace my an-j s, while still keeping my low powered 300b. And probably going to Spendor 3/1 for what had been my main listening area. I somehow have ended up with three systems. You will perhaps understand why my partner, who lives a few doors away, will not visit a house that is 'not fit for for human habitation' and is worth less than than 'all those f...ing boxes'. This calls for a second bottle of Cote du Rhone. Hope I don't awaken to a congratulations from eBay telling me I have won a £60.000 Audionote amp.
Cheers, Brian S

advertisement

Back