advertisement

3-star review for Leema Elements DAC

Longjon

Dear all,

I've just read the review of the Leema Elements DAC in WHF. It doesn't make the 1200 GBP DAC sound like a good prospect. Here is the link:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-elements-dac

On other forums, this product has had good reviews. I must admit I was interested in it myself.

I would be interested to know what other people think about this and the other products in the Leema Elements range.

In particular, I'd like to hear opinions on the the Leema Elements integrated amp & DAC combo. Is the DAC in this any good?

Bye for now & regards,

LJ

Dear all,

I've just read the review of the Leema Elements DAC in WHF. It doesn't make the 1200 GBP DAC sound like a good prospect. Here is the link:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/leema-elements-dac

On other forums, this product has had good reviews. I must admit I was interested in it myself.

I would be interested to know what other people think about this and the other products in the Leema Elements range.

In particular, I'd like to hear opinions on the the Leema Elements integrated amp & DAC combo. Is the DAC in this any good?

Bye for now & regards,

LJ

why do you care about other peoples reviews, go try it out, if you like it's features and the sound and build go for it....i have heard some leema gear and thought it sounded fine, looked well built to.

It's a What Hi-Fi (and AV kit is flavour of the month and gives us big bucks advertising) review, need I say more!

If I do need to say more I'd suggest you ignore it, have an audition and make your own mind up! Therein lies happiness, taking any notice of their reviews is the path to ... well, somewhere else!

Mr P brought his Leema DAC round to mine a few weeks back, nothing wrong with it at all. Very nice for the money was my impressions. Easily as good as say a DAC1-HDR but with better fucntionality and equal build quality.

Heard this at a show and it sounded very good to me . It is also in Hi Fi news latest issue in ultimate Hi Fi 2012 and is also highly commended so what hi fi review is way wide of the mark

why do you care about other peoples reviews, go try it out, if you like it's features and the sound and build go for it....i have heard some leema gear and thought it sounded fine, looked well built to.
Dear Mr Darryl Funk,

We don't always have the chance to go out and try UK equipment, especially when you live in a foreign country as I do. That's why we look at reviews in magazines and sound out opinions on forums like this. So please don't be overly condescending about magazine reviews.

Best regards, LJ

Dear Mr Darryl Funk,

We don't always have the chance to go out and try UK equipment, especially when you live in a foreign country as I do. That's why we look at reviews in magazines and sound out opinions on forums like this. So please don't be overly condescending about magazine reviews.

Best regards, LJ

on the contrary, you can read 100 reviews and you still won't know what it sounds like.

if you can't source a good dac from your home country then why assume an imported piece of esoteric gear will be better than what is around already.

if you really want to learn about reviews and opinions read this piece....

http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/art_audio_hell.shtml

with respect i'm trying to get you to buy the thing you want....you need to hear it....if you care that is.

Dear Mr. Funk,

Do you read magazines? Do you read comments guys like me make on this and other forums, and perhaps learn something from them? I guess at some time in the past you have read a review, and thought to yourself 'I must find a shop that sells X and go and listen to it'. That's one way the process starts.

This forum is for guys like me (and people like you too) who want to find out about new hi-fi equipment, and decide which shops they want to visit. I live in Switzerland and I use this country's excellent train service all the time, so I admit that a visit to my hi-fi shop of choice can be complicated at times.

In fact, what I will most probably do is to go the UK and visit a few shops when I'm there. In my opinion, UK hi-fi shops are often better and have more choice.

So please forgive me for asking questions on this forum about a new piece of hi-fi equipment about which very few reviews have yet been penned.

Thank you for telling me the equipment looked well-built, etc. That's the sort of thing I wanted to hear.

Regards to all, LJ

I found the shops in Germany and the Netherlands were pretty good, though you might find, with the exchange rates being what they are, HiFi is cheaper in the UK.

Reviews are subjective, and the WHF ones, which are designed for a quick, entertaining read, don't have much depth. If you look at the equipment they use, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Leema isn't a bit bright. "Detail" is WHF talk for just that, and they mention there's plenty of detail in the review.

Longjon

One magazines view is not gospel, HiFiNews reviewed it, and felt that it was such a good product that it's made their 2012 yearbook of outstanding products!!!

I have one and demmed it against W4S DAC2, NadM51, Audiolab M-DAC and several others and preferred the Leema.

avole

I wouldn't describe it as bright, but more right. Everyone that my local dealer has lent out on loan has been purchased, I think that says something about the product.

As with all audio products, by all means read magazines to get a guide of what you might want to demo, but there is no substitute for using your own ears!!

advertisement

Back