advertisement

240v to 220v

gassor

There may be more posts after this.
Just bought a JVC amp from Italy which is rated at 220v (225W). These days I see Italy is using 230v. When using it here do I need a transformer to reduce input voltage to 220v? Looking round it seems a Variac type would do the job. I could replace the internal transformer, if required, but don't trust myself!

Installing a small 20v bucking transformer is another option. This is basically a small transformer connected out of phase which knocks off 20v from the incoming mains voltage making it 220v.

246volts here too, until the kiln kicks in, then it shoots down to 235 volts! Fortunately, the turntables are locked to the mains frequency, not the voltage!

Have been told that the UK didn't change the voltage, just the paperwork! Seems about right!

Have been told that the UK didn't change the voltage, just the paperwork! Seems about right!
The same story in Europe too. There is no country that I am aware of actually trying to feed 230V.
I live in a 230V nominal, 240V actual country and my office is going up to 256V. This makes the UPS go into protection. The maximum permitted is 253V.
To answer the OPs question, either use a bucking transformer or check to see if there is an internal modification for 240V. Most Japanese amplifiers had tapped transformers

Just bought a JVC amp from Italy which is rated at 220v (225W). These days I see Italy is using 230v. When using it here do I need a transformer to reduce input voltage to 220v? Looking round it seems a Variac type would do the job. I could replace the internal transformer, if required, but don't trust myself!

It's worth checking the service manual to see if it's multi voltage, although the compatable votages are usually written on the back.

JVC AX-Z1010TN. The one and only!

Don't think I can buy a step-down transformer 240v - 220v or a suitable bucking transformer. Variac would do I expect.

A bucking transformer could be permanently installed inside the amp. No doubt Jez could do this for you.

I installed one myself in a 220v CD player I bought from from Switzerland last year. I thought it was a nice neat solution.

Ah... unfortunately there is a Europe model and a UK model and you can't rewire one to be the other. There is a another "all other areas" model which has a mains voltage selector switch on the rear panel.

Ah... unfortunately there is a Europe model and a UK model and you can't rewire one to be the other. There is a another "all other areas" model which has a mains voltage selector switch on the rear panel.
That's how it is with many Sony amps of that era too.

It almost certainly has taps for 220/240 on the transformer and so a small soldering job is all that's needed. I've already done two of them.

A bucking transformer could be permanently installed inside the amp. No doubt Jez could do this for you.

I installed one myself in a 220v CD player I bought from from Switzerland last year. I thought it was a nice neat solution.

No doubt but it could be a costly job in spite of the actual electronics bit being easy... sourcing just the right TX so it both physically fits... somehow... and has adequate electrical parameters could well be a total PITA.. and then there's the matter of somehow shoehorning it in in a way that is safe and robust. A variac or 240 to 220 transformer or autotransformer would be the easiest solution.

It almost certainly has taps for 220/240 on the transformer and so a small soldering job is all that's needed. I've already done two of them.

You're post prompted me to delve further into the service manual and check out the actual circuit diagram and yes you are of course quite right:)

I had just looked at the section on different versions for regions till now and assumed that as it was the service manual (ie for technical service use) it would have mentioned this....:oops:

The circuit diagram does show that the mains transformer for the Europe, UK and Australia models is the same part and the taps can be changed internally for 240V or 220V.

advertisement

Back