advertisement

Indeed it was

Went for an interview there in ‘75 on the Uni milk round (3rd year Manchester Comp. Sci.). ....but just like the other “three letter” computer company on the south coast, they were cutting back on graduates that year.

Last edited:
Very bad software this, motherfuckering and Scunthorp seem to get through.

"Motherfuckering" comes from a Spike Lee film, Do the Right Thing -- someone asks for motherfuckering mozerella on his pizza.

Both posts seem to illustrate how totally meaningless the word has become. It is an everyday word, once used to shock that has long since outworn that use.
Yeah, I think !!!! is much more shocking than **** these days and still genuinely offensive.

Feck is a good substitute but it doesn't replace every meaning of the other version...

Went for an interview there in ‘75 on the Uni milk round (3rd year Manchester Comp. Sci.). ....but just like the other “three letter” computer company on the south coast, they were cutting back on graduates that year.
Now a City Council building.

I'd heard the story about the army/navy mechanic saying "the ****ing ****er is ****ing ****ed. Another story from Northern Ireland in the early '70's involves a soldier at a Checkpoint stopping and searching a car with a father and son on board. The father and son were transporting Runners Clocks which were used in betting shops at the time. At that time, the only way to place a bet on the horses or dogs was by either placing it on the racetrack, or with a bookmaker. A ‘clock’ was a stopwatch in a solid steel case and one, or two, very stout canvass bags with concertina metal openings that could be locked to the case with a sharp snap. The betting slips were put in the bag before the start of the race, the bag was locked in and this started one of the stopwatches. The clock, when full, was then taken by a 'runner' to the bookmaker’s office and exchanged for another. The bookmaker, who had the only key, could then unlock the clock and check that bets had been placed before the start of races. The father and son had a number of these clocks in a bag in the boot, taking them back to the Bookmaker to exchange for new ones and a number of them were still ticking. The soldier, in a somewhat panicked state (quite rightly), shouted to the father and son: "Get your ****ing ****ers above your ****ing ****er and get over to that ****ing ****er". Loosely translated as: Get your arms above your head and get over to that wall".

My favourite use of **** is in Davin Niven’s autobiography (which is worth reading!) He says that the director Mike Curtiz said to him and Errol Flynn: "You lousy bums, you and your stinking language, you think I know **** nothing, well let me tell you— I know **** ALL!”

advertisement

Back