advertisement

23 skidoo

Say hello from me, with all the records and CDS I have bought with him on I must have at least paid for his trousers

Unless they part of an expensive suit, or are a designer pair.

DS

Hans & Others,

I am also keen on Current 93, and thier first LP 'Nature Unveiled' is one of my all time favourites. I have dozens of releases by them, but not all. The release a LOT of material, sometimes in absurdly limited editions.

I am not aware of any commonality between them and 23 Skiddoo, other than as mentioned before, there shared a similar scene.

Perhaps the only connection I can see is that 23S were on Fetish records, who also released some Throbbing Gristle LPs, who split and Genesis P. Orriidge and Peter Christopherson formed Psychic TV, who included David Tibet, who left to form Current 93. Christopherson formed and still runs Coil (see above)

David Tibet and Stephen Stapleton (Nurse with Wound) seem to be the core of the group, but they have been joined by many others through the years.

Now, will you like them? Hmm, they have had a least two or three phases, from very scary industrial gothic chanting to loopy looping soundscapes to apocalytic folk music, sometimes just with Tibets singing and a guitar.

Think of a crucified Noddy singing to a crew of cats, thats the idea.

The Emblems CD mentioned rightly above is a good starting point to dip your toe, as it covers a wide expanse of thier career.

DS

OTD - Acrid Abeyance - Exposure ep

Nearly 20 years ago I interviewed David Tibet, Peter Christofferson and Jhon Balance of Coil, Genesis P Orridge and various other sound manipulators for Sounds and then NME.

I don't believe I ever interviewed 23 Skidoo, although I definitely saw them play live when Seven Songs was released.

Other than Skidoo I haven't played any of the various performer's music for years. And I don't miss it at all.

Jack

Jack,

I must have read some of your articles, I was a keen NME supporter for 20 years

Bet you didn't get the Throbbing Gristle 25 CD TG24, the 10 CD TG+, the 12 CD Desertshore Installation or the 7 DVD TGV sets then?

DS

Didn't Sketch, the bass player from Lynx (singer David Grant now on that dire tribute band show on tv) join 23 Skidoo or was that in a strange parallel universe where real events were somewhat altered by smoking too much weed? btw the bass line on Lynx's "throw away the key" was, for me, one of the highlights of early 80s pop.

Kevin

Coil have just released a ltd edition of 'The Ape of Naples' through Important records in the states. A 4xlp box with some pretty artwork by all accounts. I couldn't help myself and ordered two!

Sleazy is based in Thailand now and in in recovery from a manky illness. He may be able to help you if you are on the look out for TG rarities.........worth a try?

Yes, Peter is a big fan of slim Thai boys.

He has released a CD of the Threshold House Boys Choir.

I liked Linx, and even had a solo LP from Sketch. Very Poor, as I recollect.

DS

OTD - Perc - Headphone Heart

The THHBC is excellent although the accompanying dvd is tough going if you aren't ready for a shedload of self mutilation ;)

Didn't Sketch, the bass player from Lynx (singer David Grant now on that dire tribute band show on tv) join 23 Skidoo or was that in a strange parallel universe where real events were somewhat altered by smoking too much weed? btw the bass line on Lynx's "throw away the key" was, for me, one of the highlights of early 80s pop.

Kevin

Hi,

Sketch did indeed join 23 Skidoo after Linx split up.

Dean

I liked Linx, and even had a solo LP from Sketch. Very Poor, as I recollect.

DS

Hi,

I like Linx. they had a number of catchy pop soul songs in the early 80s. "You're lying" and "Intuition" were two big ones for them.

Not heard any of Sketch's solo efforts. David Grant (lead singer of linx) had a solo career in the 80s plus had a few big hits with Jaki Graham. He went on to do session work and now is a vocal coach. He has been on a number of those Fame academy type shows.

Dean

advertisement

Back