advertisement

23.1 cinema audio coming

andyoz

pfm Member
We are working on a cinema in Dublin that will have the new 23.1 sound format - the whole package is called iSENS (24 channels).

http://immsound.com/news/imm-sound-will-install-its-immersive-3d-technology-in-the-cinema-theaters-of-cinesa-uci-in-europe

There are about 20 x 18" drivers in the front speaker 'wall'.

There are surrounds on walls and the ceiling. Opens in March and can't wait to hear it. I think they will beam in live rock concerts.

http://www.panoramaaudiovisual.com/en/2011/10/31/IMM-sound-will-install-its-immersive-3d-sound-technology-in-the-cinesauci-rooms/

splauZoom1.jpg

Interesting, I was just looking at the Meyer Sound Constellation system for a potential future project. Lots of very interesting things going on at the moment.

I think the driving force is more than movie soundtracks - it's more for live music.

I have seen the specs for the speakers that form the core of the system and they are surprisingly cheap given the output. There is a bank of 4 x twin 18" subs at the front - each box only costs €630ea.

The mains are 8no. large 3 way horns set at three different levels behind the screen. Each main has 4 x 18" drivers a mid rang horn and high end horn. Cost for each main is €2,600.

9d6030bfdb65212e21677353e6329d6a--mmf250x250.jpg

If only this stuff were accompanied by good film making.

Interesting to note that besides all the guff about the sound we get the very vague info about a "large format screen".

Does this mean a large screen, or a large format delivery? It doesn't seem to be IMAX branded and there aren't any other large format systems out there at the moment.

If they're doing live concerts then it must be 4K digital projection, which can be on a large screen but has no right to describe itself as "large format".

What is this "only 2 ears" nonsense? The ears receive sound, the items around you create sound. A bus can pamp its horn next to your right lug whilst a shopping trolley rumbles in front of you whilst saxophone plays from an upper left window and a kid behind you drops a pile of coins. That's not the same as something on the left and something on the right.

advertisement

Back