advertisement

2023 - waxing and waning reputations

Wax -- James Dillon (he's about to release a new recording.), Satie (John Tilbury sys he will release a recording on clavichord.)
Wane -- Beethoven

Interesting thread this one. I’m not actually sure how the classical market shifts, but if it follows other music then we are in for a period of true democratisation where everything finds its audience and those outside that niche have little idea what is happening, but those that like it have all they could want. The problem with classical is it needs a real budget to record or perform, but with such easy access to music I’d expect more obscure recordings from the past to be discovered by an increasingly diverse and engaged audience. This is certainly what is happening in jazz and leftfield rock, a younger audience are deep-diving stuff my generation wouldn’t have had a hope in hell of ever finding.

That said I guarantee Debussy is going nowhere! Beyond that I suspect everything, no matter how far off the map, will be found by people who love it. Those fans will then eventually want to see it, and then when there is clearly a market it will be programmed. I certainly see more diversity and freedom ahead. The internet is a total game-changer for all music.

Stockhausen has been largely marginalised due to this vice-like grip on his catalogue. As I understand it the vast majority of original recordings are only available from www.karlheinzstockhausen.org, at pretty crazy prices, and without even a functioning web-shop (you have to order via email like it was 1992). This has made so much of his work way more underground than it should be. As an example you can’t buy a copy of Hymnen from Amazon, it just shows a list of out of stock stuff right back to second-hand copies of the original DGG vinyl (which I have, obvs). This is insane as it is one of the core landmarks of electronic music. It is impossible to underestimate its significance and influence. Everyone should have access to this work. I’m sure it can be found on YouTube, though I’ve no idea if it exists on streaming services. Anyone fancy checking?
Pieces like Hymnen where parts of the composition are "hard wired" on tape are presumably easy for the Verlag to prevent new performances (by forbidding access to the tapes), but where the composition is a published score alone, I don't see how they can prevent anyone performing the music.

At the beginning of their careers Steve Reich and Philip Glass didn't publish their music, in order to have exclusive rights to perform it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's a shame because the remixing can make a difference, not necessarily for good, but still -- possibly interesting to hear.

It was the Perihel new editions of Xenakis -- Persepolis and Legende d'Eer -- which made me see this (but this is spacialized music in a way that, as far as I know, Hymnen isn't. . .) Here, if you don't know them

Persepolis | IANNIS XENAKIS | Karlrecords (bandcamp.com)

advertisement

Back