advertisement

2021 New Album Recommendations

absolutely! Also they really remind me of the US band Slint if you know them (recommend if you like the BKNR sound)

Yes, I'm familiar with Slint but never quite made up my mind about them. Musically I prefer BCNR but the vocal is too ruining for me.

This https://www.knightsoftheturntable.co.uk/new-music/iwdg-lonely-place-tribute-andrew-weatherall/ leading to this https://www.beatport.com/release/in-a-lonely-place-awrw-2020/3253860 is worth a few pounds of anyone's music budget.

By Andy's brother and friends in tribute to Weatherall to mark his, and mine as we were at school together at the time, obsession with all things Factory Records.

Profits go to his partner and a charity he supported.

To quote "how I wish you were here with me now..."

Lost Horizons 'In Quiet Moments'. Simon Raymond's (ex Cocteau Twins) project on his Bella Union label.

The best thing I've come across this year, really stunning album.

Hmm, a new Arcade Fire album. That will be interesting to hear whether they get back on form again after the so-so Everything Now.

For those who like oddball Kraut/psych/drone stuff this 250 limited edition Smote album is likely worth a punt (Weird Beard). They have a bandcamp, though the vinyl is only available from the Weird Beard label who deal with very limited stuff of this ilk on coloured vinyl (and ulta-limited cassettes which sell out in minutes).

The gaudily splattered vinyl Smote album turned up today, it’s good quality retro-psyche/space-rock, e.g. if you like Hawkwind ‘blanga’ grooves, Amon Düül, Ash Ra Tempel etc it’s a win, and I’d put money on it increasing in value as there are only 250 of them. Annoyingly I didn’t get the postcard that the first 50 have, but ah well. There is a lot of decent space-rock around at present, The Utopia Strong, Mugstar etc, and this fits with that stuff.

The gaudily splattered vinyl Smote album turned up today, it’s good quality retro-psyche/space-rock, e.g. if you like Hawkwind ‘blanga’ grooves, Amon Düül, Ash Ra Tempel etc it’s a win, and I’d put money on it increasing in value as there are only 250 of them. Annoyingly I didn’t get the postcard that the first 50 have, but ah well. There is a lot of decent space-rock around at present, The Utopia Strong, Mugstar etc, and this fits with that stuff.

Listening to Smote on Bandcamp, good stuff and I'll definitely be in if they reissue the vinyl. Track 3 is the one for me.

I’m enjoying Freedom Fables by Nubiyan Twist, funky soul-jazz stuff. The link is to Amazon (one has to earn a crust!), though you may still be able to hunt down the limited green or orange vinyl elsewhere. Great cut too, sounds like a 12” single. I’ve got it on now and it sounds massive through the Tannoys!

A recommendation for the Indaba Is compilation on the ever wonderful Brownswood. This is a double compilation of modern South African stuff that again falls loosely under a soul-jazz heading. There might still be some red vinyl on bandcamp, though I preordered mine ages ago. I’ve only played it once so far (it landed yesterday), and its pretty good, but will take a couple of additional plays to get a real feel for what’s what. Another one cut two tracks a side over a double album, so anything but the old compressed compilation album stereotype.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Difficult to choose. Since the pandemic-related restrictions on movement and holidays were implemented my music buying has taken a dramatic upturn - in 12 months I've added around 600 titles to Roon. Even if some are different versions of the same album, that still makes an average of ten a week!

Of this year's additions, I would go for:

- Still Corners - The Last Exit (I downloaded this from Bandcamp)

Thanks for the Still Corners heads up, very good I think.

A couple of other recent releases I've been listening to a fair bit lately:
  • The Weather Station - Ignorance
  • Madlib - Sound Ancestors

advertisement

Back