advertisement

2021 Beatles Let It Be

I think that all women are witches, in the sense that a witch is a magical being. And a wizard, which is a male version of a witch, is kind of revered, and people respect wizards. But a witch, my god, we have to burn them.

Then there’s the whaling; bloody hell take your eyes off them for a couple of minutes and next minute you’re being dragged up a ramp and cut into bits!

Best left well alone if you ask me.

It is quite something. I don't know who thought the coloured backgrounds in the Twickenham studio were a good idea. Surely there was an Apple intern who could have come up with some groovy backdrops?

The notion that they have to get the songs ready for a concert is a bit lame, it's like Ground Force or Changing Rooms.

The scene with Dick James is great. Macca's nice guy persona is struggling to stay intact as he deals with Tricky Dickie.

I was surprised how little there was in the way of flunkies and entourage. Also surprised how little time George Martin spent in the sessions. Maybe he was intimidated by Glyn Johns' bold fashion statements.

The film does make it obvious how the band struggled after Brian Epstein died. They needed someone to give them direction, but didn't seem willing to let Macca be that person. They seem to have drifted into making the film/album, and have decided to record live as a band (unlike they did on the White Album), without having much idea of what they want to achieve. There isn't much sign in the film of EMI chasing the band for product, but that doesn't mean that pressure wasn't there.

When they move from Twickenham to the studios in the Apple building, I wondered whey they didn't go to Abbey Road. Was it just cheaper to avoid using EMI's facilities?

Annoyingly, and very un-Peter Jackson-like, the forthcoming Blu-ray set is simply a dump of the three programmes shown on Disney+.
After watching that interview with Jackson, where he talks about reducing all the film and audio to an eighteen hour version before trimming further, I do wonder if there’ll be a longer cut released at some point, the way he did with the Lord of the Rings films.

Mick

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Having just finished watching the documentary, which I liked I feel it's time I contributed to Paul and Ringo's pensions.

I don't quite know how I've come this far without owning a single Beatles record, I think it's something to do with the ubiquity of their output combined with the sense they could never be my band having had every drop squeezed out of them by generations preceding mine, but I think I'm ready now and thought I'd begin with let it be and abbey rd.

I note there are remastered versions available and wonder if the initiated could suggest which are the ones to get.

I note there are remastered versions available and wonder if the initiated could suggest which are the ones to get.

If there isn’t a thread dedicated to The Beatles albums and related sound quality, then there should be.

@roman I suggest you start a thread on the subject (if one doesn’t exist already?). the replies to your question will be of interest to many, and will get lost in this thread
:)

Nice idea, I’ve got multitude of different releases, stereo. Mono,180gm, remaster’s, Japanese reissues, foreign-I’ve got a French pressing of help, etc. personal faves are early mono, but curious about other pressings.

Meanwhile, back on topic (I appreciate this will be a challenge after 5 pages of diversions) does anyone have anything to say about the OPs original question?

I too am seeking an 'optimal' vinyl copy of Let it Be, and am bemused by the choice. Budget about £60 so white vinyl copy and 1st pressing are out of scope.

Acquiring remasters always worries me a bit as many of them actually alter the music in a way I just find annoying. Knowing there's a shit amended bit coming is like waiting for the scratch/ jump you know is coming on a damaged record (fortunately I've managed to replace The Wall and Led Zepp 4 now but the memories remain).

As an aside as there is interest in the new film (my wife, like a lot of you, really likes it but I've no patience for an 8 hr doc) perhaps mods could consider intervening to split the thread.

advertisement

Back