advertisement

2021 Beatles Let It Be

I am not sure about ‘resent,’ but I am no fan of her or her musical output. Never have been, despite giving it a try a few times.

It might tie in with me not particularly being a fan of John Lennon’s post Beatles output.

I will give ‘Shaved Fish’ another go, just to remind myself. I haven’t played it for yonks. It sits at the back of my Beatles box, next to that C.C.C.P. album that McCartney did o_O
Oh I don’t care for her music but I do like Lennon’s first two solo albums & also quite like Double Fantasy in places. Ultimately she started off as a conceptual artist & is a person in her own right. People were similarly sniffy about Linda McCartney’s photography.

Fascinating series, some of the most beautiful footage I’ve ever seen from a quality POV too, amazing that it’s been restored from film stock which is over 50 years old too. I could watch them larking about endlessly, that have amazing wit and charisma as individuals.

I too don’t understand the hate and resentment towards Yoko either, there certainly doesn’t seem to be much in the way of that from anyone in the Studio… not sure what the whaling down the Mic is all about, but Paul seems to be playing along with her… my daughter came into the room with her head tilted like a confused puppy when she heard it.:D

The Sound And Vision write-up of the Let It Be documentary - link
I haven't read it all yet as it seems to go into things a lot more than other write-ups, but worth sharing based on what I've read so far :)

I too don’t understand the hate and resentment towards Yoko either

Just to be clear.

I just dislike her.

There is an interesting section in the second episode were Paul talks of Yoko and John, it is diplomatic but revealing.

The Wife remarked that if Yoko was such an artist, It was a shame that she was unable to recognise her affect on the Bands dynamic and give them space to be artists.
I assume she was aware of that.

We have seen 2 episodes now. Very engrossing, and fascinating the way they work together, or don’t.
Love the green carpet in the Apple studio.
Sounds better than Twickenham as well, they look more relaxed, especially when Billy Preston turns up. Billy brings a positivity to the proceedings, and they look like they cheer up a bit.

Just to be clear.

I just dislike her.

There is an interesting section in the second episode were Paul talks of Yoko and John, it is diplomatic but revealing.

The Wife remarked that if Yoko was such an artist, It was a shame that she was unable to recognise her affect on the Bands dynamic and give them space to be artists.
I assume she was aware of that.

We have seen 2 episodes now. Very engrossing, and fascinating the way they work together, or don’t.
Love the green carpet in the Apple studio.
Sounds better than Twickenham as well, they look more relaxed, especially when Billy Preston turns up. Billy brings a positivity to the proceedings, and they look like they cheer up a bit.
I think something to remember about Yoko, is that she was John’s world, and an inspiration for him I’m sure, they came as a pair, by John’s choice… still, I don’t know what the whaling down the mic was all about, it certainly didn’t fit with the narrative of the album. I have heard another Japanese artist chanting in a similar kind of way, and that was Damo Suzuki… but what Damo did was mesmerising, something I’ve not experienced before or since (I supplied all the PA, lighting and my mixing services for that event)… what Yoko did was rather jarring, but Paul was playing along with her so…

Billy Preston was ace, always looked so happy and upbeat, and he was a huge talented, both on keys and vocally in his own right.

The third instalment is great by the way, a real treat… I’m sad it’s over, I could have watched a lot more.

The wailing might be inspired by young Yoko hearing women giving birth through a paper dividing wall. Or something.

Interesting to hear a snatch of proto-Imagine during the Apple sessions. Shame there's no deeper context on the business arguments and the arrival of Klein, but I guess that wasn't on the table for public consumption. Billy Preston was awesome. He defines the songs he plays on.

The wailing might be inspired by young Yoko hearing women giving birth through a paper dividing wall. Or something.

Interesting to hear a snatch of proto-Imagine during the Apple sessions. Shame there's no deeper context on the business arguments and the arrival of Klein, but I guess that wasn't on the table for public consumption. Billy Preston was awesome. He defines the songs he plays on.
Jealous guy was in there too… might just go through my Lennon collection today!

If anyone wants my 2 x CD copy of ‘Let It Be...Naked’,
you can have it for the cost of postage.
Hi Martyn
I'm not dead yet...surely this offer was taken up? If not I would be happy to receive...crazy thing is I ordered a copy for my ex this Christmas...I have a cd copy and bought the new Let it Be double cd which I now prefer to the original...
Nice to be in touch
Ian

Oh I don’t care for her music but I do like Lennon’s first two solo albums & also quite like Double Fantasy in places. Ultimately she started off as a conceptual artist & is a person in her own right. People were similarly sniffy about Linda McCartney’s photography.
Agreed but like Paul says ..when they begin talking about George leaving..."they are in love and they just don't want to be apart" that explained and justified her otherwise redundant presence and she comes from a highly priveleged elitist Japanese banking family so she wouldn't give a shit what others wanted, a weird mixture but she is a zero beside the Fabs creatively speaking

Agreed but like Paul says ..when they begin talking about George leaving..."they are in love and they just don't want to be apart" that explained and justified her otherwise redundant presence and she comes from a highly priveleged elitist Japanese banking family so she wouldn't give a shit what others wanted, a weird mixture but she is a zero beside the Fabs creatively speaking
Either way she has been appallingly treated by the media & pretty much everyone is miles below the Fabs.

Either way she has been appallingly treated by the media & pretty much everyone is miles below the Fabs.
Yes well the film Let it Be and her bottom on an amp story stuck like glue in the mass consciousness.... We needed to blame someone for ruining the Fabs.

I agree she doesn't deserve the hate but is strangely unable to present a better aspect publically in all that time. Artistically she has integrity but her da daesque themes are also a bit arid

I've never worked out the relationship between 'Child of Nature' and 'Jealous Guy'. I listened to the 'chat' extra on 'Let It Be (Naked)', just once, a long time ago... and wondered.

Same tune, different words. By the time of "Imagine" he'd re-written it. The original would have seemed a bit twee in 1971. Heck it may be a bit twee for 1968.

52 years to the day after the last ever Beatles session- and we still talk about them with real affection. From Sound and Vision article

"On January 3 and 4, 1970, George Martin went into EMI with Paul, George and Ringo – John was traveling – and added overdubs to "Let It Be," including brass, background vocals and a new lead guitar part from George. (The one recorded this day was a rocking, distorted part, whereas one he had added in April 30, the previous year, was, like the one he had tracked live, played simply through a Leslie.) The three also recorded George's "I Me Mine," which appeared in the film at Twickenham, but had never been recorded at Apple on 8-track. These sessions marked the last true Beatles recording session."

"

Yes well the film Let it Be and her bottom on an amp story stuck like glue in the mass consciousness.... We needed to blame someone for ruining the Fabs.

I agree she doesn't deserve the hate but is strangely unable to present a better aspect publically in all that time. Artistically she has integrity but her da daesque themes are also a bit arid
She’s never really played the game & I quite like her for that to be honest. Average ‘rock bloke’ behaves badly & is applauded for doing so.

She’s never really played the game & I quite like her for that to be honest. Average ‘rock bloke’ behaves badly & is applauded for doing so.
Au contraire if you have any artists in your life youLl know she does play the arteest game "..on the basis of being able to subsidise her art with other monies rather than substantive work in my opinion having been married to a sucessful artist with big output.

Not meaning to knitpick but she is no rock chick and doesn't behave badly ..her art is her life as far as she is concerned, she is the installation ...." Yes M's Ono, no Ms Ono" the art world kisses arse a lot of the time .... she nor The Fabs were ever tedious bad rockstars after Hamburg when they was really young

advertisement

Back