advertisement

2021 Beatles Let It Be

Looking forward to watching this with The Wife, might save it to watch around Christmas time.

Watched just over half an hour earlier, quite compelling & a little surreal to see them being rather ordinary in their interactions. Everyone looks very young.

Loved the series. As has been mentioned watching Paul McCartney in particular almost force a song into existence was sight to behold and spookily surreal.

I thought John Lennon was all over the place. Funny one minute (albeit his humour lacked any charm or warmth), stoned out of his mind the next, then totally focussed on getting the job done. Oh and I loved how he is touted as a "working class hero" turning up in a chauffeur driven limo.....

Loved the series. As has been mentioned watching Paul McCartney in particular almost force a song into existence was sight to behold and spookily surreal.

I thought John Lennon was all over the place. Funny one minute (albeit his humour lacked any charm or warmth), stoned out of his mind the next, then totally focussed on getting the job done. Oh and I loved how he is touted as a "working class hero" turning up in a chauffeur driven limo.....
How should he have travelled?

Watched just over half an hour earlier, quite compelling & a little surreal to see them being rather ordinary in their interactions. Everyone looks very young.
It feels like you’re standing just behind them for most of the time, which adds to the sense otherworldliness.
The speed at which they rip through the tracks is quite hypnotic as well. Looking forward to seeing more tonight.

One interesting thing about the Beatles is that they were almost classless, George & Ringo were solid working class but Lennon & McCartney seemed the straddle two worlds. Despite not being particularly educated they were all very eloquent in their own way.

I can think of any other band who were so engaging as personalities. David Hepworth made a really good point in a podcast a little while ago; they would have done a killer MTV unplugged set!

Does anyone have any idea why I can't find this on my daughter's subscription to Disney+...? It just isn't there. Am I being stupid...?
No, you’re not being stupid - I couldn’t find it on my daughter’s subscription either. You need to set the age to 16+ because it’ll be filtered out otherwise. There are one or two rather fruity words! (Nothing most 12year olds haven’t heard, mind)

Thoroughly enjoying Get Back, but the digital image processing seems a little brutal. I think I'd have preferred the cleaned up 16mm footage presented in 1080p, rather than the digitally reprocessed footage in 4K HDR. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Love the way Yoke just calmly opens up a newspaper & starts reading it while they are working stuff out. Top trolling.

McCartney is something of a control freak wants to dictate all the parts; fascinating insight.

No, you’re not being stupid - I couldn’t find it on my daughter’s subscription either. You need to set the age to 16+ because it’ll be filtered out otherwise. There are one or two rather fruity words! (Nothing most 12year olds haven’t heard, mind)

Ringo says "fart".

Considering all the smoke in the room, his fart warning was probably moot anyway.

We watched the first episode last night.

It took The Wife about an hour to start to lay into Yoko as a ‘waste of space,’ and many less than charitable comments.
I found her presence sitting close to John whilst the band rehearse, disturbing.

What was very pleasing was the sound and quality of the restored film. Looks like it was made recently rather than 50+ yrs. ago.
The almost constant smoking of cigarettes and cigars is comical.

To see the birth of well known songs/tunes is fascinating. And a joyous thing.

Not sure they would get much done without Paul, or that is how it appears.

It has motivated me to dig out ‘Let It Be,’ and give it a hard listen. I think I have a couple of copies, (?) it isn’t my favourite Beatles album. Both The Wife and I are looking forward to the rest of the film.

I've watched parts 2 and 3 totally hypnotised: at times extremely uncomfortable with the interpersonal dynamics, at times joyous, marvelling at the creative process, the endless banter. At times I felt reverential. When Yoko joins the band and does primal screaming ... wow, that is a band I want to see: if only they'd made a record!

Now I'm faffing about, delaying watching part 3. I'm scared, because then it'll be over.

I've watched parts 2 and 3 totally hypnotised: at times extremely uncomfortable with the interpersonal dynamics, at times joyous, marvelling at the creative process, the endless banter. At times I felt reverential. When Yoko joins the band and does primal screaming ... wow, that is a band I want to see: if only they'd made a record!

Now I'm faffing about, delaying watching part 3. I'm scared, because then it'll be over.
I’m holding off watching this for that very reason

It is fascinating how much people still resent Yoko Ono. Much of the contemporary coverage at the time was essentially racist or xenophobic but a worrying undercurrent remains.

It is fascinating how much people still resent Yoko Ono. Much of the contemporary coverage at the time was essentially racist or xenophobic but a worrying undercurrent remains.

I am not sure about ‘resent,’ but I am no fan of her or her musical output. Never have been, despite giving it a try a few times.

It might tie in with me not particularly being a fan of John Lennon’s post Beatles output.

I will give ‘Shaved Fish’ another go, just to remind myself. I haven’t played it for yonks. It sits at the back of my Beatles box, next to that C.C.C.P. album that McCartney did o_O

advertisement

Back