advertisement

2020 US election (and democratic primary)

sean99

pfm Member
I read a headline this morning that Bernie Sanders leads polling in Iowa, but nationally Joe Biden is still slightly out front. Personally I like Elizabeth Warren, but worry about the considerable effect of misogyny.

My first thought was that if either Bernie or Joe were to win and immediately choose the other as their VP running mate the democrats would have the 2020 election tied up. Plus they can appoint Elzabeth Warren as treasury secretary, Pete Buttigieg as defense secretary. I like Amy Klobuchar, but I'd want to know her Senate seat would be safe if she vacated before offering any cabinet appointment. Andrew Yang also clearly has a place in a future administration.

In short if the two wings of the party work together I think they can win in November. If either the Bernie/Warren or the Biden/Klobuchar wing wins it and excludes the other wing I fear we'll be looking at four more years of Trump.

Bernie Sanders will be 79 on election day. IMO simply too old. The Democrats should have chosen him last time instead of Clinton.
Joe Biden is also too old.
The Democrats need to find someone else to agree on quickly or Trump will win again. He may anyway.

Bernie Sanders will be 79 on election day. IMO simply too old. The Democrats should have chosen him last time instead of Clinton.
Joe Biden is also too old.
The Democrats need to find someone else to agree on quickly or Trump will win again. He may anyway.

FiveThirtyEight still shows Biden with a slight lead in Iowa.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/iowa/

Historically, the winner in Iowa is rarely the nominee. Agreed that Biden and Sanders are too old, but apparently, most don't seem to feel that way.

I read a headline this morning that Bernie Sanders leads polling in Iowa, but nationally Joe Biden is still slightly out front. Personally I like Elizabeth Warren, but worry about the considerable effect of misogyny.

My first thought was that if either Bernie or Joe were to win and immediately choose the other as their VP running mate the democrats would have the 2020 election tied up. Plus they can appoint Elzabeth Warren as treasury secretary, Pete Buttigieg as defense secretary. I like Amy Klobuchar, but I'd want to know her Senate seat would be safe if she vacated before offering any cabinet appointment. Andrew Yang also clearly has a place in a future administration.

In short if the two wings of the party work together I think they can win in November. If either the Bernie/Warren or the Biden/Klobuchar wing wins it and excludes the other wing I fear we'll be looking at four more years of Trump.

I've been playing the same mental game about which nominees would fit into the various cabinet positions. Call it wishful thinking for a post-Trump future!

Klobuchar's Senate seat is pretty safe - she won by 24 points in 2018.

sean.

there is not a chance in hell bernie would pick biden as VP. it makes no sense and the base would be furious. if biden somehow sneaks through, that would be so depressing that even picking cornel west for VP wouldn't make up for it.

sean.
there is not a chance in hell bernie would pick biden as VP. it makes no sense and the base would be furious. if biden somehow sneaks through, that would be so depressing that even picking cornel west for VP wouldn't make up for it.

Them's the fighting words of a Bernie bro - you know like the fighting words that contributed to Trump winning the election in 2016. I don't particularly care for Biden either, but by god I'll take him in a heartbeat over Trump.

Them's the fighting words of a Bernie bro - you know like the fighting words that contributed to Trump winning the election in 2016.

i'm not a bernie bro and i'm not fighting -- just pointing out the obvious. your bernie/biden ticket is an absurd idea. it's almost as if you knew nothing about american politics.

He's a "Lite Republican." Like Hillary, Biden, Mayor Pete, etc.

I was pleased to see Bloomberg pledge to use his money, organization, and his analytics company Hawkfish, to support whoever the nominee is.

It looks to me as though the Democrats are on the path to self-immolation again. Eliminate Bernie (old, ill, private jet), Joe (old, corrupt), Warren (old, Pocahontas) and you have some interesting candidates in a diverse field. Of the three front-runners Warren would be least worst.

But the idea of a Bernie/Joe dream ticket seems bad politics. Old and senile supported by old and senile. Time for some new blood. Biden has been running for president for ever, I first heard of him when he was plagiarizing Neil Kinnock, of all the orators in all the world.

It's too bad that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez isn't 35 yet. She'd be a great running mate, who would undoubtedly get the youth and progressive votes.

I don't think Bernie is too old, but his heart attack did his health and candidacy no favours. He's only a few years older than the incompetent, semi-literate moron who was elected in 2016.

Joe

It's too bad that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez isn't 35 yet. She'd be a great running mate, who would undoubtedly get the youth and progressive votes.

I don’t understand, is there a lower age limit?

PS Whilst UK politics is clearly in a truly horrible mess at least Johnson and all the Labour hopefuls are a lot younger than Trump, Biden, Sanders etc. Not young enough IMO, I’d love to see those with far more life ahead of them making the decisions given the climate crisis we all face. 35 as maximum age would make more sense!

That’s a shame, AOC looked like a good contender from what little I’ve seen. Maybe next time...

I don't think Bernie is too old, but his heart attack did his health and candidacy no favours. He's only a few years older than the incompetent, semi-literate moron who was elected in 2016.
Bernie is a term and a bit older than Donald, Joe just less than a term. So they would be starting as President at the age Trump would be leaving at.

And I'm not completely convinced Joe is fully there.

In a sensible Dem world Pete would be the candidate.

advertisement

Back