advertisement

2020 itch: moving on from the P25, but to where?

JTC

PFM Villager...
I've ended up drifting from vinyl a bit, my P25 doesn't see a lot of use and most of my listening is done either via streaming (car, mobile) or from my own library (digitally). However, what I'm missing is part of that whole ritual, that somewhere along the way got lost. Just like making a good coffee, part of the enjoyment is the 'guddle', and - where vinyl is concerned - another one is the fact that listening becomes an event.

I had an LP12 which was a good deck but fragile, and when kids came along, I went to a Spacedeck HD, which was better than the LP12 I had, but with kids starting to toddle about, I was nervous and stopped playing my records. I picked up the P25 that I've had ever since, and although it's a decent, fuss-free deck - maybe comparable to an entry LP12, but definitely not as good as the Spacedeck - now that my kids are much older (the youngest will be 11 next May) I can consider a better deck again.

The problem is what to consider. So many new decks have come onto the market since then, and I'm well out of the loop as regards what's good and what's not.

The easiest option would be another LP12. It'd be my third. But I baulk at the way the prices have gone, and I'm not sure I want anything that leaves the door to further (expensive) upgrades. Anotjher Spacedeck? Maybe, but it's a big deck and I'd rather something a touch more compact. Regas? Perhaps, but I don't know what's going to be enough of an improvement over the P25.

I haven't set a budget but I'd prefer this to be relatively modest, and whatever I buy has to be easily sold on if I find that returning to vinyl is a whim. I'll use my ATG PT33 cartridge, which still has low miles, and sell on the P25 (with RB300, not RB600 - it was like this when I bought it s/h 10 or so years ago). I only have ~400 LPs left from the 1500 I once had, as many were dupes, rubbish, or things I'd moved on from. I sold some artists in near completion - Zappa, Beatles - at a tidy profit - but kept others. I'm not unhappy that I did this, I still have way more music than time to listen to it, and I can start buying again.

OK, rambling post, but a bit of a steer is very welcome. FYI the target system options I have are: Mytek Brooklyn DAC -> Adam Compact Classic actives (my main system, with a Mjolnir/Stax headphone setup), OR perhaps a new system with a new phono stage into our Nait 2 and then into Spendor S2/2s as a dedicated, vinyl only rig. Not sure how well the Nait 2 will cope with the big Spendors however.

Safest bet would be a Rega Planar 6, latest model. All the new Regas are advances on previous ones. There were some 'cosmetic seconds' on ebay recently.

I would be tempted to go for a 2nd hand LP12 or an SME10. I have an LP12/Ekos2/Lingo & not been bitten by the upgrade bug for over 10 years. I did think about a top plate mod, pondered a sub frame upgrade but ended up doing neither. I think I am at the sweet spot of cost/performance for this deck.

An LP12 isn't fragile IMO but i can understand why people think it is.

There are so many good decks around. Prices have recently been fairly stable, but to move up from where you were I'd think you need to start at £1000 roughly. By the time you get to £3000 you might be tiptoeing into the esoteric and fussy territory you want to avoid (exceptions exist ofc, see the VPI mentioned at the end, but as a rough rule).
First thoughts go that the AT33, a cartridge I like very much as a great VFM allrounder. It's weight and compliance suggest that most standard mass tonearms, say 8-15g total mass inc headshell, should be fine, but checking will help a shortlist of arms, separate or integrated.

As a first thought, do you fancy the rock solid stability of DD? Or do you prefer belt drive?
New or used? Because that budget puts you into good used territory, and so Idler drive decks, like Garrards etc come into view.
My 2p is that Rega are default safe choices, and you get what you pay for as you move up the range. Fuss free buying. VERY detailed decks but they do need excellent support and isolation. If you can't house a special platform, you are wasting a third of their performance (ish). Technics latest incarnations of the SL1200 is right at the top of the above budget, but good value even at that price. Great sound in it's DD way.
If you swap cartridges in the future, some of these supplied arms have no VTA adjustment, you'll need shims.
Well there's a start. Thorens TD350, Project carbon, Clearaudio concept, Michel Gyro are all in that ballpark. If you really want a last deck and can push more budget in, have a look at the VPI prime range.

Have a look at Well Tempered Lab. Their Simplex 2 is very compact. Their larger Versalex table has some extra convenience features and more refined build. Performance is excellent. They are a popular alternative to Linn tables and once set up to your liking, they tend not to drift.

I went from a P25 to a vintage Pioneer PL-71. Sounds much better and brings a smile on my face just by looking at it.

But surely not easy to find anymore.
If I were you I‘de look around for a s/h Well Tempered, VPI or Nottingham. Clearaudios are a bit special but very nice too.

Keep your P25, clean and re-lube the bearing, replace existing belt with a new white one, try and source a s/h Rega Fono MC, use direct into your Stax set up.

advertisement

Back