advertisement

2016 Formula 1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may not be the case Richard. There are a few rule changes and that usually shakes things up a bit...

This constant fiddling with the rules to generate competition and interest is wearing thin. F1 has become a media/social circus for rich people, wannabees and tarts and is not very interesting as a sport any more.

This constant fiddling with the rules to generate competition and interest is wearing thin. F1 has become a media/social circus for rich people, wannabees and tarts and is not very interesting as a sport any more.

When wasn't it?

Apart from fixing wheelbase, width, engine size and fuel tank capacity I'd get rid of the rules.
Let the tech boffins have their heads and see what they can come up with.

You'd see one team dominate through huge power from its turbo boosting, spectators further from the track for their own safety, more mechanical failures, and almost no overtaking. At a guess.

You'd see one team dominate through huge power from its turbo boosting, spectators further from the track for their own safety, more mechanical failures, and almost no overtaking. At a guess.

We would make the cars so fast so quickly that the drivers would be unable to drive them at full acceleration. Leaving the one that could to dominate. We would have drivers blacking out in corners and braking etc as they try to get to their limit.

So there needs to be a base set of rules to work from, that limits the areas that performance is easy to find. Which are optimized from time to time when the year on year development process delivers car that are approaching being too fast. Which is how F1 has worked for a long time, even if the move nowadays is to take viewer feedback and try to adapt the technical regs to support the show side a bit.

Ad in this weeks Autosport Mag

15385271_1369430009747637_2059801568504211717_o.jpg

When I started the limit was not having much money. The rules were fairly open, and we didn't lack ideas but we did lack resource to evaluate all the ideas and to put the promising ones into practice.
The first big change was fag packet sponsorship which gave Lotus a huge benefit (probably >10x more money). Little by little everybody got fags. Then the big car companies raised the ante again (about 4x more money).
Nowadays there is enough money to do mindless 1000 monkey type developments if wanted.
I don't think it could be properly controlled, but if it could a budget rule would even things up, but a huge number of existing people who are mainly there for the money would go, which would maybe not be a bad thing. Do you spend money on the driver or the wind tunnel etc..

starting positions for each GP to be the reverse of how they finished in the previous GP.
That'll make the buggers work hard.

starting positions for each GP to be the reverse of how they finished in the previous GP.
That'll make the buggers work hard.

Another duff suggestion that, if thought about for one minute, would be discarded forever. I've heard this one countless times, and it's still silly.

And the buggers do work hard. Ok, they don't collapse through exhaustion after a race, but I'd bet they work harder mentally and physically than almost everyone here does whenever they drive those cars.

Championship points given for both qualification and finishing position. Grid position is a totally random lucky dip before the race, balls pulled out of a sack...

This way qualifying matters as much as it does now but because there are points in play rather than position, and imagine on race day all the drivers being driven round the track on the back of the big rig pulling their positions on the grid out of a bag... half the races points still available - that'd make em race!!! And it would be fabulous for spectators too..

And then, last race of the season, Nico gets 22nd on the grid, Lewis draws 1st on the grid, bye bye any interest.

Silly.

It's such a shame but the sport probably reached its pinnacle a few years ago, it's now such a tightly controlled rule book because of other teams complaining so much about another teams advantage that an 'advantage' is not sportsmanlike.. so put them all in the same cars, no, silly. Now it's all stupid flaps on wings and batteries that give teams any chance of overtaking.. it's so sad, but F1 has become its own enemy and stifler.

And people have been saying that sort of thing at least since I first got interested in the early 80s. But the circus keeps rolling into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back