advertisement

2012 Mac Mini power supply upgrades

Interesting, and PCs are as cheap as chips. Can JRiver work happily with itunes?

Re: Software, I've got Audirvana, Pure Music and Amarra Symphony and the latter beats he other two no problem re sound quality. My SSD is now installed and OS is being restored from a backup - looking forward to seeing if it makes any difference other than speed...

FYI I have a mid 2010 Mac Mini right next to my DAC and sitting above two BIG power amps each with 2 off 1.2KVA transformers and with my ear flat against each of the seven drivers in each speaker hear nowt zilch naga zero. I do feed the DAC via the Firewire port and have isolated the the +ve and earth feed on that connection.

Just for info as further investigation may also reduce the OPs interference.

Cheers,

DV

+1

My 2006 Mac mini doesn't cause any humming and it has been dropped and battered a few times, I doubt if it is very well screened/shielded now as I recently replaced the case after my brother borrowed it and dropped it smashing the connections plate on the back and when I took the case off I had a nice little pile of white plastic bits, screws, springs and screening mesh :)

Personally I wouldn't even think of touching it until I'd heard it side by side with an upgraded one.

Interesting, and PCs are as cheap as chips. Can JRiver work happily with itunes?

Re: Software, I've got Audirvana, Pure Music and Amarra Symphony and the latter beats he other two no problem re sound quality. My SSD is now installed and bent restored from a backup - looking forward to seeing if it makes any difference other than speed...

Not sure about 'with' iTunes but I have my JRMC library looking at the iTunes music folder and it sees everything ok.

Re: Software, I've got Audirvana, Pure Music and Amarra Symphony and the latter beats he other two no problem re sound quality. My SSD is now installed and bent restored from a backup - looking forward to seeing if it makes any difference other than speed...
Why do you want JRiver to work with iTunes? the good thing about it is it does not need iTunes

Time to move away from Apple and iTunes, maybe? Get the new Shuttle DS47 stick in your SSD and 8GB RAM, install W8, anti-virus, RealVNC and JRMC 19. Sorted.

Oh ..... and convert everyfink to FLAC :)

Yes basic PCs are much cheaper than Macs, the one I am using is several years old and still only has 3Gb of ram, the SSD was the only extra expense. I think I will get some extra ram though, so I can play from memory.
However, I must say it sounded excellent just with the original drive. I can also use my htc phone as a basic remote using the gizmo app.
I dislike itunes and don't use it on my Macs, preferring to use audivarna as a stand alone player. There is no need for itunes with J river.
I have always preferred the Mac environment to windows so this has been quite a surprise to me.
J river have now brought out a Mac version which would be interesting to try.

Not sure about 'with' iTunes but I have my JRMC library looking at the iTunes music folder and it sees everything ok.

You use iTunes to rip and store, and then just synchronise JRiver to it ?

It's one way of taking the "faff" out of organising files, methinks. Wouldn't do it that way myself, but I've always thought that iTunes was a great tagger/organiser.

I hardly use iTunes these days, but it does one thing really well. That's carving out hidden tracks found on some CDs. i.e. you can create a copy of the hidden track by telling iTunes to play only from the start of the hidden track, then tell it to create a copy of the track. Itunes only copies the "effective" length of the song. Very useful I find. You have to do it once for the non hidden track and then once more for the hidden track. I find it easier to do the hidden track first.

Say, the hidden track starts at 6:00 into a track, you set the start playing from field to 06:00, and create a copy. Then for the main track, you reset the start to 0:00 and set the end to where the song ends and create a copy.

I use Jriver, so I convert my song to edit in ALAC or AIFF and import into iTunes, do the editing in iTunes then reimport into JRiver and reconvert to .flac.

JRiver will work fine with your iTunes library - you should be up and running in minutes. One advantage I've found is that the 'audiophile' side of it is very clear and all inside it - you can easily use ASIO (the preferred option if your DAC supports it) or WASAPI Event driven, and JRiver always confirms whether the output path is bit perfect or not. You can get a 30 day free trial of the full version - worth a punt. Works on macs too. It's a very powerful product and as time goes on you find yourself using more of it's features.

advertisement

Back