Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 upgrade dreams

Discussion in 'audio' started by ampman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

See if I can set up an EAR system which will deal with surround sound.

Jack

2. Spence

Spence pfm Member

Speaker's for me, I have an urge to listen to some Shahinians.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I'm fiddling with the main system this year; Tannoys out, Harbeth SHL5 in, and whatever it takes to get that to really work. System #2 is officially done (124 / Quad / Heresys etc), I'm not looking to change anything there. I'd rather like to get one of my Lencos out and in use somewhere too, but space in both systems is an issue. It may be the year to offload some stuff too, I've got a fair bit of kit sitting around unused at present.

Tony.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think that's realistic, as you know I'm a big fan of the TD150 but beyond a certain point you may as well buy a good 1980s LP12 and have done. There was a recent Ebay sale of a lovely TD150 in a Henk plinth, it only fetched £130 iirc, the plinth alone is a £200 item. The basic 150 is a lovely item though and a giant killer as it sits.

5. mat_mcg

mat_mcg pfm Member

I just bought a new power-amp [Quad 306] and set of speakers [Castle Inversion 50is] for my main system, both of which I'm happy with.

Planned upgrades: I would like a decent DAC to connect my Squeezebox to, and if I see one cheap I may think about a separate phono-stage, and/or new tone-arm for my Axis. I may also get a minor mod and re-cap done on the power amp.

Also, I may get rid of the Tannoy Mercury M1s and tripath amp that are plugged into my PC as a second sytem and swap them for some moderately priced active nearfield monitors. Or get rid of the amp and speakers altogether and just run a headphone only setup on my PC.

6. mjalazard

mjalazard New Member

I'm actually waiting for Bob Carver to ship down my refurbished Harmon Kardon Citation II power amp. He has changed it to pure pentode output with the Tung Sol KT 120 tubes at 115 WPC! Mr. Carver already upgraded the Citation I pre-amp, adding a stunning MC phono stage to it (Stewart Hegeman design). We're going to use the pair to drive some up-graded Apogee Mini-Grands in our NFS (Not For Sale) Audio room at the 2011 THE Show in Las Vegas.
    http://www.theshowlasvegas.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CzJsoIHqUM
    Mike

7. dss

dss Musical Bons

Well, my dreams came true, the dock arrived today and successfully charged the device is it. The other good bit was getting it for £10 rather than £30 there.

DS

8. bennyboyph

bennyboyph pfm Member

Upgrading my textbooks in order to pass the GAMSAT!

9. joel

joel Painter of Dragons, Maker of Mirrors

Basically quite happy with what I've got. However most of it is quite old so there's always the slight worry that something is going to go up in a little puff of smoke. And it looks like the CDP may be about to give up the ghost. I may get proactive and move it on ahead of time.

I quite fancy a CEC TL53Z

[​IMG]

The delicious audiophool irony of a direct drive TT and a belt drive CDP. Plus it would take up much less space than the current Victor battleship.

Other than that I may investigate the big DSP Genelecs further, or not. Probably the latter tbh.

10. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Cessaro Betas for me, Happy New Year everyone.
    Keith.

11. oceanobsession

oceanobsession pfm Member

Denon dl 103 expert stylus mod to go with my pioneer pl 71,my speakers
    shahinian arcs i know there good, so im after a phonotage and new amps,
    maybe electrocompaniet but somthing thats fast warm not analititcal, so
    maybe a tube pre with ss power.

would not buy linn or naim i think they have made some great products but
    always overpriced.

12. Biker Boy

Biker Boy pfm Member

I am looking to put a second TeddyCap onto my NAC82

Upgrade my tonearm from an AO modified RB300 to a ??????? one suggestion is a Nottingham Anna Arm, any others????

Put the Heavy Kit onto the Ace Space