1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

2010-2011 Premiership Thread part III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by jackbarron, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

quite

2. murray johnson

murray johnson pfm Member

That final would have been fine had not some 'fans' of the time felt that it was acceptable to behave like animals. That goes for the fans of many British & European clubs for the preceding 10-15 years not just Liverpool fans.

I suspect that if that final had been between perhaps a Danish club and a French one it would have passed off without incident & no-one would have had cause to berate either the stadium or UEFA.

But if you feel that its better for your club not to reach a final under current circumstances, that's up to you. I'll be looking forward to this one whatever the outcome.

3. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

A good result by the reserves,Schalke are now officialy the poorest semi-final team ever,as stated before Crawley put up more of a fight and would(Again) have provided stiffer opponents!
    Barca will be much harder to overcome,but are not invincible,We have the better defence,Barca the better midfield,up front Messi is brilliant,but i'd rather have Rooney and Hernandez than Villa.
    First goal will be key,whatever the outcome it should be a wonderful game.

4. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Oh dear Murray, you really need to read up on Hysel before opening your mouth. Try this.

Hysel was a disaster waiting to happen, an out-of-date stadium unfit for purpose and a building site on the day to boot. The wall probably would have collapsed anyway if a Danish or French side had scored and the supporters had surged forward - although that's not to condone the actions of a minority of Liverpool fans on the day.

It was very convenient for UEFA to blame Liverpool in particular and English Clubs in general, in order to steer blame away from their own door - where much of it belonged.

In fact Liverpool fans generally had a good behaviour record at the time, and most of the trouble abroad was caused by 'fans' of other English clubs and the National team.

5. jimi

jimi pfm Member

Went to the FA Cup semi at Goodison in I think 1985 Utd v Liverpool, I have never witnessed so much violence at a footy match in my life (in them days I used to go to about 40 games a season or more) and again in the replay at Maine Road.

Liverpool football fans are at times total scum more so than any other fans, I have however visited the city of Liverpool many times and have been made most welcome.

6. murray johnson

I remember watching it Patrick. It was horrible. I don't need to read some Liverpool fan's point of view. The pictures made it quite clear why the problems occurred & why the wall collapsed. What they didn't show was what the Roma fans had done the previous year to cause the animosity & desire for revenge that was present on that day.

At least some Liverpool fans recognise that at least, in part, they were culpable. They don't all try to blame it on UEFA.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/53860-explaination-hysel-please.html

Dragging Heysel into this discussion was unnecessary anyway. I'm looking forward to this Wembley final rather than backwards at the past.

7. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

....no and no West Ham fan will forget it either- It cost us a place in Europe.

8. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Of course not Murray. Clearly you had a more accurate view from your armchair than someone who was actually there.

To their credit, LFC and Liverpool fans have never sought to blame anyone else for the behaviour of a significant few, but that doesn't change that UEFA and the Belgian Authorities had a significant role in the deaths of those Juve fans, and managed to offload responsibility completely.

Perhaps if you took the trouble to read the book, you'd realise that it's written by an entirely rational and objective human being ... who just happens to be a Liverpool fan.

Irons - Everton too.

9. murray johnson

Perhaps a more detached & objective view Yes.

I don't think it was UEFA or the Belgian authorities who charged at the Juve fans causing them to stampede while trying to escape. It certainly isn't how I remember it. I doubt you'd have seen Danish, Swiss or Portuguese fans doing it either.

I realise that Liverpool fans are obsessed with the 70's & 80's but surely its time to move on. This thread is supposed to be about this season.

10. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

irons1965 get yourselves down to the Championship, it is far more civilised down here!

11. matt j

matt j pfm Member

That's just plain biased crazy speak, for my money Villa is one of, if not, the best striker in the world currently. I'd take him over either of your pair.

12. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

Murray, in a fit of smugness you made a rather silly statement - it's a shame that you're now having such difficultly retracting it.

But then, not unusual in your case.

(I watched the TV coverage, and I wasn't completely aware of what had gone on until afterwards. I am therefore extremely surprised to see you write that you saw everything from the comfort of your armchair.)

13. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

Matt- you are of course entitled to your opinion,but on current form Villa is at best no better than our front two,and overall,and imho not as effective,having neither the speed of Herandez or the brilliance of Rooneys versitility,an excellent player of that there is no doubt,but not quite as good as Rooney and i would take Hernandez over him every time,especially for his work rate.

14. murray johnson

No Patrick. No smugness here nor silly statements. Nothing to retract either from what I can see.

But you should really start your own Liverpool in the 70's thread if that's what you want to talk about. The fashion, the music, the permed hair. Endless backpasses. I'm sure you'll get loads of interest ;)

15. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Right - Villa is way better than Rooney or Hernandez. Absolute fact. Did you not watch the World Cup? FFS.

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

now now chaps...

calm down, calm down... :D

[​IMG]

17. AlexG

AlexG ...

I'd take Rooney AND Hernandez ahead of Villa, but I'd take Villa ahead of either of them individually.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Well for a start Rooney isn't an out-and-out striker, he's more of a Messi style forward so that comparison is pointless. As strikers go I can't think of a better one at present than Villa.

19. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

If you watched Hysel in the 70s then that's where you must have gone wrong. Keep digging Murray, you're doing just fine.

20. pil

pil pfm Member

Rooney really hasn't been world class for a long time.
    I'd take villa over him any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.