advertisement

2 x monoblock or 2 x power amp for 8200CDQ

cstanpfm

pfm Member
Hi there.

Intent to upgrade my amp to use with the 8200CDQ.

Thinking of 2 x monoblock for bi-wiring (eg 2 x 82000M)

or

2 x power amp for bi-amping (eg 2 x 8200P).

Which is the better option that will produce better audio quality?

TIA.

cstan, are the 8200 series amps (apart from the MB's) confirmed to have balanced input? i think the will not..
with the hiss issue on the CDQ, I would only look at power amps with balanced input to match with it. Ideal I would be something where you can lower the gain so you can run the CDQ at or closer to max output (zero on volume).
I would look at something like Parasound A21 ($3.2k locally). I am considering Marantz MA-9S2 monoblocks which are rather pricey (abt $12k locally).
My speakers does not have bi-amp or bi-wire capability, so thats not a consideration for me.
If you are interested, I could bring over my Rotel RB-1572 which I converted to run in balanced mode, to try on your speakers or you could bring you speakers to my place.
This would be a budget solution ($1400) or you could get 2 of them and bi-amp, but 500w/4ohm to the highs may be overkill.. what speakers do u have/getting?

edit - i think the jury is out if there is any advantage in bi-wiring or bi-amping by the way. notice that for example all dynaudio and focal speakers only have 1 set of terminals - even on the most expensive models.

if you want to stay with Audiolab, get the MB's..

If your preamp is designed to drive multiple power amplifiers, then bi-amplification is a better option - all else being equal. Separately driving woofers from tweeters via their separate filters gets you a lot closer to active amplification. A very real benefit is improved HF performance and protection against blown tweeters if you pushed the amps to clipping.

Bi-wiring is far less effective in these regards.

Hi dane, the M and P will not have balance input unfortunately. :(

The MB will be out as the CDQ we have do not have the 12V trigger.

Your power amp otions are getting more and more ex...

But they should drive your new speakers well.:D

I will be getting the Monitor Audio GX100.:)

I may get this http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html (as recommended by JohnW) to use with the M or P.

cstan, are the 8200 series amps (apart from the MB's) confirmed to have balanced input? i think the will not..
with the hiss issue on the CDQ, I would only look at power amps with balanced input to match with it. Ideal I would be something where you can lower the gain so you can run the CDQ at or closer to max output (zero on volume).
I would look at something like Parasound A21 ($3.2k locally). I am considering Marantz MA-9S2 monoblocks which are rather pricey (abt $12k locally).
My speakers does not have bi-amp or bi-wire capability, so thats not a consideration for me.
If you are interested, I could bring over my Rotel RB-1572 which I converted to run in balanced mode, to try on your speakers or you could bring you speakers to my place.
This would be a budget solution ($1400) or you could get 2 of them and bi-amp, but 500w/4ohm to the highs may be overkill.. what speakers do u have/getting?

edit - i think the jury is out if there is any advantage in bi-wiring or bi-amping by the way. notice that for example all dynaudio and focal speakers only have 1 set of terminals - even on the most expensive models.

if you want to stay with Audiolab, get the MB's..

Hi James, sorry did not make it clear.

I was not really about bi-amp vs bi-wire.

It is more about the benefits of 2 x power amp vs 2 x monoblock.

2 x power amp can be used for bi-amping. Each power amp drive the tweeters and woofers seperately.

2 x monoblock will drive each speaker seperately, single or bi-wired.

Just not sure which is the option that will produce the better results.:confused:

One benefit of 2 x monoblock option is I can use just 1 pair of interconnect for them. Using the 2 x power amp option, I will need to use 2 pair of interconnect in daisy chain. And since the interconnect is considered one of the weak link, therefore the power amp option may result in inferior sound.

The 2 x 8200M or 2 x 8200P are same price.

If your preamp is designed to drive multiple power amplifiers, then bi-amplification is a better option - all else being equal. Separately driving woofers from tweeters via their separate filters gets you a lot closer to active amplification. A very real benefit is improved HF performance and protection against blown tweeters if you pushed the amps to clipping.

Bi-wiring is far less effective in these regards.

I thought I answered your question, but let me try again.

Using two 8200P is bi-amplification. One would be connected to the woofer input on your loudspeaker, and the other to the tweeter input. Presumably you have two pairs of inputs that can be separated by removing linking plates, snipping bridging links on crossover, etc.

How you connect the two 8200P to your preamp is another matter. Many preamps have only one pair of outputs. You mentioned daisy-chaining the 8200Ps, so this may well be the case for your preamp. In either case, you will need two pairs of I/Cs to hook them together.

BUT, if your preamp has only one pair of outputs, it may not perform optimally driving two power amps (which halves the input impedance seen by the preamp) daisy-chained together. So the gains from separate amplification of woofers and tweeters is offset by some losses in preamp performance.

If using a pair of 8200M instead, the difference between single wiring and bi-wiring your loudspeakers is going to be marginal compared to a bi-amping set-up if the latter works. Are you able to try both configurations before buying?

have you heard the GX100 yet? what kind of sound caracterictics do they have and what sound are you after? how big is your room? how loud and what music do you listen to?
maybe also check out the new Marantz MM7025. it has balanced in and Marantz is very competitvely priced here in Singapore. I guess it will cost S$700-800 only. Actually I think that could be a very good budget solution if the speakers are relatively easy to drive which I think MA usually is. Or get 2 to bi-amp, but I think u will need to Y-split the output on the CDQ in such case and I dont know if thats a good idea or not.

Hi James, got your meaning now. The 8200CDQ only has a rca pre out. The 8200P and M has an input and output. Therefore, the output connects to another 8200P or M.

The P and M will arrive in the shop somewhere march. Will test them out.

Thanks.

I thought I answered your question, but let me try again.

Using two 8200P is bi-amplification. One would be connected to the woofer input on your loudspeaker, and the other to the tweeter input. Presumably you have two pairs of inputs that can be separated by removing linking plates, snipping bridging links on crossover, etc.

How you connect the two 8200P to your preamp is another matter. Many preamps have only one pair of outputs. You mentioned daisy-chaining the 8200Ps, so this may well be the case for your preamp. In either case, you will need two pairs of I/Cs to hook them together.

BUT, if your preamp has only one pair of outputs, it may not perform optimally driving two power amps (which halves the input impedance seen by the preamp) daisy-chained together. So the gains from separate amplification of woofers and tweeters is offset by some losses in preamp performance.

If using a pair of 8200M instead, the difference between single wiring and bi-wiring your loudspeakers is going to be marginal compared to a bi-amping set-up if the latter works. Are you able to try both configurations before buying?

Hi dane. Heard the GX50 and 100 at PA and like the sound. Definitely better than the RX series. The riboon twetters just sounds right. Smooth, detailed and good soundstage.

Not sure how it will actually match well with the current Audiolab gear, but may change the amp much later if the sound does not match. But I heard that past Audiolab gears and MA are good partners.

No need the Y splitter as explained on the previous post. And the GX are easy to drive actually.

My room is about 3 x 2.8m, and I do not listen too loud. Just a nice volume will do.

Will check out the marantz you mentioned too. Thanks.

So, your new speakers arriving soon? :D

have you heard the GX100 yet? what kind of sound caracterictics do they have and what sound are you after? how big is your room? how loud and what music do you listen to?
maybe also check out the new Marantz MM7025. it has balanced in and Marantz is very competitvely priced here in Singapore. I guess it will cost S$700-800 only. Actually I think that could be a very good budget solution if the speakers are relatively easy to drive which I think MA usually is. Or get 2 to bi-amp, but I think u will need to Y-split the output on the CDQ in such case and I dont know if thats a good idea or not.

advertisement

Back