advertisement

2 racks - hard and soft

bonzo75

horns, planars, tannoys
i think ideally one should have two racks - one with a detailed, bright dac, another with a soft one, one with an aggressive SS amp, and another with an amp with a soft tube like sound. Ditto for cables. And then mix and match depending what time of the day, mood, and song you are listening to. There seems to be no one answer for all music we listen to anyway..

A slightly bigger room and I will put in on wall Maggies with bassy focals in front, so I can enjoy both sounds without losing spcae

A mate of mine with a houseful (literally) of hifi does exactly this. The only drawback is that he spends more time shuffling kit and flicking between tracks than he does playing albums.

Wouldn't it be enough to have a tube stage that can be switched in and out of the circuit? Or (shock and horror!) a graphic equalizer / DSP?

I'm with bonzo75.

In fact, I run three systems - master bedroom, dedicated listening room and living room. It's great fun - no tube amps though.

Bl--dy Hell Steven this must be the first, no controversy ,no hype,just the truth, and I probably for the first time for a long time as well totally agree with you . See you can do it if you really try, your status as "O Wise One" has been reinstated, well temporally that is :)
oldie

Bl--dy Hell Steven this must be the first, no controversy ,no hype,just the truth, and I probably for the first time for a long time as well totally agree with you . See you can do it if you really try, your status as "O Wise One" has been reinstated, well temporally that is :)
oldie

The resources required for two systems can be better utilised in just one, better system. A good system will play music, all music. To tailor a system to a given musical genre is to caricature your music.

advertisement

Back