advertisement

2 box Croft Mega Micro

WOW
Crazy price???????????????????????????

Emporium had one 2-3-4 years back that had been butchered - no idea what they wanted for it though.

Absolutely love the look of these.

Must cost a fortune in valves though. And get hot!

How good are they? Seems like a lot of amp for £1k.

Sold already, so somebody thought that it was a bargain.
A lot of amp.? Not sure what that means other than size.

Must cost a fortune in valves though. And get hot!

Preamp valves last almost for ever - TonyL is on record here, I am pretty certain, that he has never known one fail. That being so, it already had a full working set so unless you wanted to change them, cost of valves would be nil. Heat - mildly warm, no more, I suspect.

I meant that it would cost a fair bit to make a two case amp with associated parts. Which made that amp look like good value.

Someone will be happy.

it is a very good preamp. I have the more modern looking Mega Micro II, haven't had a single PSU valve (there are 12) fail yet. preamp valves have failed, on the other hand, but those were all bought off Ebay (a bad idea I have come to realise). new JJ ECC99 and ECC83 installed by Glenn Croft probably do last a very long time.

I saw this elsewhere and promptly downloaded all the internal pictures - the detail changes from mine are quite surprising. I’d like to internals of a few others to see whether mine has been extensively modified, or Glenn used to change his designs/layouts pretty frequently.

The power supply gets pretty warm on mine, but not shockingly so.

I have pics of the internals of mine up on AoS (not sure if links to other forums are allowed here). looks very different to the one at the top of this thread (mine has 12 valves in the PSU, the preamp part was updated by Glenn Croft in 2015).

I saw this elsewhere and promptly downloaded all the internal pictures - the detail changes from mine are quite surprising. I’d like to internals of a few others to see whether mine has been extensively modified, or Glenn used to change his designs/layouts pretty frequently.

The power supply gets pretty warm on mine, but not shockingly so.

I have pics of the internals of mine up on AoS (not sure if links to other forums are allowed here). looks very different to the one at the top of this thread (mine has 12 valves in the PSU, the preamp part was updated by Glenn Croft in 2015).

No problem cross-posting - please do. Is your username same on AoS? My PSU is also 12 valve - each rail with 85A2, EL86 and ECC83, and a pot to adjust HT. But so is the one above? Main differences compared to mine are that mine also has;
- Dedicated transformer in PSU just for heaters in the pre, with 2x 12v regulators in pre itself, one for each channel
- Two PSU connectors, split between line and phono stage (they are inter-changeable)
- Mute switch on my Pre

Thanks, Richard

you'll find the pics here https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47190-mostly-Croft

my understanding of the technical side is very limited, but my PSU has no adjustable pot, there is just the one umbilical, it does have four transformers. the preamp side is sparse, to put it mildly.

it's designation is "Mega Micro II", I can check the serial number if you're interested.

cheers

ahto

No problem cross-posting - please do. Is your username same on AoS? My PSU is also 12 valve - each rail with 85A2, EL86 and ECC83, and a pot to adjust HT. But so is the one above? Main differences compared to mine are that mine also has;
- Dedicated transformer in PSU just for heaters in the pre, with 2x 12v regulators in pre itself, one for each channel
- Two PSU connectors, split between line and phono stage (they are inter-changeable)
- Mute switch on my Pre

Thanks, Richard

you'll find the pics here https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47190-mostly-Croft

my understanding of the technical side is very limited, but my PSU has no adjustable pot, there is just the one umbilical, it does have four transformers. the preamp side is sparse, to put it mildly.

it's designation is "Mega Micro II", I can check the serial number if you're interested.

cheers

ahto
Just realized I never said thanks :) Another completely different Mega Micro layout! Do you know what middle vale in pre is doing? I assume a tape buffer?

thanks, Richard

no worries, always good to talk to other Croft aficionados. I have no idea what the middle valve is for -- but I've also never heard of a tape buffer. the preamp was updated by GC in 2015 & I doubt he would have left a tape buffer in place. in fact upgrading another Micro I have he later specifically asked me if the tape input was needed at all (and I assume rewired it). (that Micro also retained the 5 valves in the preamp after a PSU was added).

Just realized I never said thanks :) Another completely different Mega Micro layout! Do you know what middle vale in pre is doing? I assume a tape buffer?

thanks, Richard

The Mega Micro (assuming that it was the same one) reappeared and disappeared quickly on ePay over-night, at a significant price increase. Watch that space...

Another huge collection of valves in two boxes, offered as a one-time Glenn Croft personal pre', sold last week for something like £1200-1300

I saw it too, but it's gone now. could be it was a scam. I've seen expensive/one-off Croft gear come up at knockdown prices on smaller sites before (the "Monday Night Special" was one such case, it was quickly readvertised in Ireland and the Netherlands, if memory serves). however, this time there was a markup so perhaps it did go at the BIN price.

The Mega Micro (assuming that it was the same one) reappeared and disappeared quickly on ePay over-night, at a significant price increase. Watch that space...

Another huge collection of valves in two boxes, offered as a one-time Glenn Croft personal pre', sold last week for something like £1200-1300

looks like it's been readvertised. £1500 seems optimistic -- though as has been pointed out before, designs vary & presumably the results too.

advertisement

Back