advertisement

1980s entry level kit.

MikeMA

pfm Member
I’m not sure if this post really belongs in the Classic section, but it relates to a fairly typical entry level system from the mid 1980s and so is a classic of its kind though by no means rare or exciting. It was purchased by my parents under my close supervision in about 1985 and has stood in a cabinet in their sitting room virtually unused ever since. My mum has now decided to get rid of it and was about to take it to the tip when I said I’d take it away and see if I could find a good home for it, as I couldn’t bear to see it just dumped. At the moment I’m trying to make up my mind whether to face the hassle of trying to sell it or just give it away.

The system comprises:

NAD 3130 30 watt integrated amp with MC/MM phono stage

Dual CS505-3 record player with Dual DN-168E cartridge with new stylus fitted by me in 2006 and never used since.

Yamaha CD-29 CD player

Warfdale Diamond III speakers.

All the kit is in good working and cosmetic order. I’ve hooked up the amp and speakers in my “upstairs” second system and it sounds surprisingly good; almost as good as my old Quad 33/303. The Warfedale Diamond IIIs are excellent too and I’ll probably keep them in preference to the Tannoys I was using previously. The Dual record player sounds decent enough but would be beaten by a good modern entry level deck with a decent arm and cartridge. All I can say about the Yamaha CDP is that it works and sounds o.k. but is nothing to get excited about.

My question is this: is any of this kit worth the hassle of trying to sell? Unfortunately I don’t have any of the boxes or user manuals so posting would be problematic though not impossible. What would fellow pfmers do in this situation? I know it’s a daft question in some ways and I just need to make my mind up and get on with whatever I decide to do, but I’m in no hurry and I’d be interested in what others might do in a similar situation.

The Nad 3130 is also worth quite bit. It sounds better than a 3020.

The Dual is a real giant killer of a TT. One with a reasonable cartridge can embarrass many a poorly set up superdeck, but it wont beat a correctly set up RP3

There's a vintage NAD stack (3020, tuner, tape and record deck I think) starring in C4's 'Humans' series playing the part of the family's stereo.

There's a vintage NAD stack (3020, tuner, tape and record deck I think) starring in C4's 'Humans' series playing the part of the family's stereo.

I noticed that. A bit of an odd detail. Maybe it's a tip-off from the near future about the next retro HiFi trend?

I loved and still love my first 1980s amp - an Arcam Alpha 3 - which I am actually listening to as I write - the only thing ever to have gone wrong with it is the pilot light which is now so dim you can hardly tell if the amp is on or off - but who cares about that as it still sounds as sweet as ever! I also loved my Sansui 222 turntable (I had shortlisted that and the Dual at the time but loved the look of the Sansui) which I now wish I had never let go even though it eventually got replaced by a Rega Planar 2 - yet another classic from that era.

My first proper system was a Dual CS505 II with ortofon cart, NAD 3020 and a pair of Kef Cantor II speakers. Loved that system.

I loved and still love my first 1980s amp - an Arcam Alpha 3 - which I am actually listening to as I write - the only thing ever to have gone wrong with it is the pilot light which is now so dim you can hardly tell if the amp is on or off - but who cares about that as it still sounds as sweet as ever! I also loved my Sansui 222 turntable (I had shortlisted that and the Dual at the time but loved the look of the Sansui) which I now wish I had never let go even though it eventually got replaced by a Rega Planar 2 - yet another classic from that era.

I have just got my Arcam Alpha 3 back from a long term loan and is now in my second system and hooked up to some Rogers LS7's, and I am very impressed by this combination and clarity from the little box. The Rogers really let the Arcam shine.

My 80's kit was a load of silver mix and match Japanese separates that were piled on the floor at Dixons in Newcastle. No boxes or instructions, a bit shop soiled but real cheap. I dreamed of a proper turntable - wanted an 'Oak'. Anyone remember them? I think they were about £80 (no arm, add RB250 for best results). The magazine 'Stereo!' raved about them. Both disappeared without trace.

I dreamed of a proper turntable - wanted an 'Oak'. Anyone remember them? I think they were about £80 (no arm, add RB250 for best results). The magazine 'Stereo!' raved about them. Both disappeared without trace.

Didn't the Oak turntable had a plinth split both horizontally and vertically? Never seen them in the flesh, they probably weren't sold over here in The Netherlands, but really liked the design, and heard good things about it.

My first real hifi was a Rega Planar II turntable, initially partnered with a Kenwood KA4020 amplifier (followed by a Creek CAS4040) and Mission 760i's (replaced by Royd Squires). Spend ages in a dutch hifi shop, drooling over the Naim, Exposure, Incatech, NVA, Royd and Rega stuff. Still miss those days, with vinyl as main source, and decades away from streaming, MP3 and iPod. A lot of the magic has gone, imho.

IIRC, what was sold by Moth Marketing as 'The Moth Turntable' was essentially the last version of the Oak Audio 'The Oak Turntable' with two layer laterally split plinth.

The original Oak had a 22mm thickness solid chipboard plinth with light oak veneer.

Common to all variants was an inverted brass bearing fitted to a one-piece Medite platter with a red round cross-section belt running in a groove round the periphery; the motor being the usual 300rpm Philips/Airpax.

I do remember the original 1983 UK retail price of The Oak being £99.95 with Jelco tonearm fitted; 15 quid cheaper than a Rega Planar 2/RB250 at the time.
IIANM, the Moth was priced closer to Planar 3/RB300.

Here is a Moth with a Roksan Tabriz on:

33eq2jq.jpg

And here with platter off revealing the lower part of the inverted bearing:

bip5i9.jpg

I’m not sure if this post really belongs in the Classic section, but it relates to a fairly typical entry level system from the mid 1980s and so is a classic of its kind though by no means rare or exciting. It was purchased by my parents under my close supervision in about 1985 and has stood in a cabinet in their sitting room virtually unused ever since. My mum has now decided to get rid of it and was about to take it to the tip when I said I’d take it away and see if I could find a good home for it, as I couldn’t bear to see it just dumped. At the moment I’m trying to make up my mind whether to face the hassle of trying to sell it or just give it away.

The system comprises:

NAD 3130 30 watt integrated amp with MC/MM phono stage

Dual CS505-3 record player with Dual DN-168E cartridge with new stylus fitted by me in 2006 and never used since.

Yamaha CD-29 CD player

Warfdale Diamond III speakers.

All the kit is in good working and cosmetic order. I’ve hooked up the amp and speakers in my “upstairs” second system and it sounds surprisingly good; almost as good as my old Quad 33/303. The Warfedale Diamond IIIs are excellent too and I’ll probably keep them in preference to the Tannoys I was using previously. The Dual record player sounds decent enough but would be beaten by a good modern entry level deck with a decent arm and cartridge. All I can say about the Yamaha CDP is that it works and sounds o.k. but is nothing to get excited about.

My question is this: is any of this kit worth the hassle of trying to sell? Unfortunately I don’t have any of the boxes or user manuals so posting would be problematic though not impossible. What would fellow pfmers do in this situation? I know it’s a daft question in some ways and I just need to make my mind up and get on with whatever I decide to do, but I’m in no hurry and I’d be interested in what others might do in a similar situation.

If you do decide to give it away, perhaps you could say where you live.
I wouldn't be surprised if a PFM member in your area 'snapped it up!'

advertisement

Back