advertisement

1971 - the miracle year for music

An interesting piece in The Guardian today:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...-beyonce-frank-ocean-laura-mvula-dawn-richard

It's not the favourite thing of many here but 2016 can be seen for R&B as of the same standard as 1971 for white rock. The end of year lists, for example, are pretty much dominated by it along with Bowie.

Some of the most creative music I've heard this year either from R&B or influenced by it .... or has been made by by artists over 50. I still like to hold onto the view that the best music is an expression of youth so R&B or its European counterparts like grime are probably a good indicator of what's next - either R&B or records by over 50s.

Kevin

50 is the new 20.

but 50 is the new 65, when it comes to (un)employment.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/age-discrimination-workplace

for someone (me) who became musically of age in the 60/70's, new soul or r&b releases come across as rehashing the past, but i guess you could say that about a lot of new music.

my favorites of the year are mix of young and old.

young(ish):

whitney - light upon the lake
white lung - paradise
moon hooch - red planet
parquet courts - human performance

old:

lambchop - flotus
band of horses - why are you ok
dinosaur jr - give a glimpse of what yer not

The question we are wrestling with, in the end, is 'what makes music good?' Being 'like' other music we like is often a miss, and begs the question.

Just heard some new music that was rather reminiscent of Electric Light Orchestra. Some ELO stuff is among my favorite. The new was for me an odd combination of gratifying and unsatisfying. Most hearers, of course, won't be familiar with ELO, so their reaction will be different....

The question we are wrestling with, in the end, is 'what makes music good?' Being 'like' other music we like is often a miss, and begs the question.

It's more than just being "good" music. What people are often trying to identify in end of year lists are the influential albums - the ones that have an impact on the way music is going, as well at the ones which have impressive vocals or arrangements or songwriting skills or musicianship etc in evidence. That's why the Beatles, Bowie etc albums are important, they flattened the guideposts directing pop music at the time and opened it right up to all sorts of influences.

Take the Memphis Sessions by Elvis, people could easily overlook it's importance in the wider scheme, but it is arguably one of the most important in pop history because it shows the melding of blues and country in a way not heard before and one that foreshadowed all the rock 'n' roll that was yet to come.

Bob Marley was another example, as was Iggy Pop and the Beach Boys and Public Enemy: you may or may not think they produced "good" music, but you can't deny their influence they had.

With a €50 gift voucher this Christmas I bought 3 ACE Jon Savage curated compilations, 1966, 67 and 68.

Jon Savages book was about 1966 “the year the decade exploded”. The CDs are based on singles rather than albums, mainly ones he heard on Radio Caroline. Very interesting albums but being born in 1965 my knowledge of the era is purely retrospective, as 1971 is, but somehow it seems less so to me.

I’ve always felt that the turn of the decade was a game changer with the Beatles no longer being on the scene so it’s interesting to hear mention of the 63-73 decade. I can relate to this as my high point for music would be the 77-81 era. (Do the 80s mean the Police, Duran Duran or Pixies?)

No great point to my post, I was just searching PFM for some comments on the Savage book and came upon this thread as I (mistakenly) thought the 1971 book was also a Savage book.

I’d be very interested in people’s top 10 singles from 66, 67 and 68 from people who were buying (or listening) back then. It’s hard to know how much licensing is effecting the choice of songs on these CDs.

.sjb

If licensing affects the choice of songs in compilation cds which in turn affects how we choose from a curated collection, then analogous to that would be how popular songs were promoted via the chart system in 1966,67 and 68.
What I remember from those times was what I heard on the radio so my field of options was necessarily limited.
I was after all only 9, 10 and 11 respectively!
When I could exercise choice it was mostly influenced by what records my friends had. One I recall bought from a catalogue or from ads in MM and NME and the other had parents who travelled a lot and just bought stuff they thought their son would like. He got Split Enz records and a drum kit!
I couldn't list 10 for each year, memory being what it is...
1966...They're coming to take me away, Bend It, Winchester Cathedral, Pretty Flamingo
1967...I'm a Believer, Hole In My Shoe (showing early signs of some musical taste here), Zabadak, San Francisco
1968...Those were the days, Hey Jude, Lily the pink, Cinderalla Rockefella, Fire (my first LP Crazy World of...)

Age is a big factor. If the years were 1972, 1973 and 1974 my answer would be sooooooo different!

Also T. Rex Electric Warrior, Can's Tago Mago, the first Kraftwerk album, Tangerine Dream's Alpha Centauri, the first Ash Ra Tempel album, Miles Davis A Tribute To Jack Johnson and Live Evil, Hawkwind's In Search Of Space and Amon Düül II's Tanze Der Lemmings. It was certainly doing something right! It did not however produce the first VU album, that was 1967 IIRC.
I'm impressed with your knowledge of music Tony not just this thread. Your on a whole diffrent level to me I consider myself a music enthusiast. Bumping into you over a pint would be a joy.

The book is very good, I think he writes very well on music. 1971 was the year of my birth so it does resonate with me. As you get older I think it becomes more difficult to keep up with modern music, it all starts to sound like stuff you've already heard. I find the odd artist breaks through for me (John Grant, Field Music, Michael Kiwanuka are among a few that spring to mind) but there's nothing wrong with this.

The year I went to my first rock concerts. I can remember one, two and three in order...

ELP
King Crimson
Van der Graaf Generator (supported by Genesis.)

Total cost of tickets £2.55

Here’s a thread about some great photos of rock stars with their parents that I found while searching for the Hepworth book.

Last edited:
However, Slade's influence on popular music in the 70's was considerable, unlike the novelty songs you mention. And Slade were actually rather good! (IMHO of course).

However, Slade's influence on popular music in the 70's was considerable, unlike the novelty songs you mention. And Slade were actually rather good! (IMHO of course).

At the time (I was 15 or so) most of the people I knew saw them as a joke and didn't take them seriously. Later they'd have been filed with Sweet and the Glitter band as "Glam Rock shite" as we listened to 'real music' like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

A number of bands you would consider good were influenced by Slade. Their live shows were outstanding. Dave Hill's haircut was appalling I grant you.

Bands influenced include the Ramones, the Clash, Nirvana, Undertones, Def Leppard, etc..

"What' Going On". M. Gaye 1971 A true landmark LP, more than ever given our ecology focus today
"There's a riot going On". Sly and family Stone
"Maggot Brain'. funkadelic

All awesome still today.

More obvious:

"Tapestry"
"Sticky Fingers"
"American Pie"
"Bridge over trouble Water'
"Imagin"

A number of bands you would consider good were influenced by Slade. Their live shows were outstanding. Dave Hill's haircut was appalling I grant you.

Bands influenced include the Ramones, the Clash, Nirvana, Undertones, Def Leppard, etc..

Yes, but at the time we didn't know that and they were seen as being a joke - you have to remember teenagers not only have strong opinions, but they know _everything_.

advertisement

Back