advertisement

1970s KEF Concerto Loudspeakers?

George J

Herefordshire member
Real old style three way speakers that I believe were available as a kit for DIY construction, but also contained very fine drive units for their day.

I was offered a pair I have known since the 1990s today as their owner wants a pair of speaker that, "Take less room!"

I declined on the basis that I am already crouded out.

However I offered my friend, their owner, that I would ask here if there is any interest here to have them for a reasonable offer. They are dusty fairly shabby things, rather large and have a certain big but not remotely tiring, old school sound quality that is now extinct in modern speakers.

If anyone would be interested in them please either reply here, or PM me. They would make good donors for the Linn Sara or Isobarick for the bas and treble drive units, or be a potentially rewarding project to restore cosmetically. The cabinets are structurally fine, but are perhaps what the estate agent would call heavily patinated!

They will not be scrapped, but if I can help to facilitate these speakers having a continued active live, or parts therefrom, it would certainly be better than them consigned to the loft till the heat, cold, and damp ruin them any way. They are still connected to an always on Naim amp!

I was lucky this weekend to be given a pair of Mission QX-I speakers, and I like them a lot. Not the same as my ESL, but don't need a high rent amp to drive and are perfectly inoffensive, and very good at musical balances.

I am still getting their measure, but will post my thoughts in a few days in the Audio part.

Best wishes from George

Just sold my late father’s freshly recapped pair. Really nice speakers, they go low but the old tweeter lacks a bit of sparkle. Let them go for £150 in the end.

A happy end to this is that my friend, who owns the KEF Concertos, has given them to another friend for nothing.

I was going to take some pictures this weekend, and post them here.

That will now not be necessary as they will go to a new home where they will be cherishes and used daily.

So this is the end of the thrust of this thread.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back