advertisement

1920s Summerhouse restored.

George J

Herefordshire member
20230314_134018_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134109_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134140_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134234_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Here we see the Project Manager keeping a beady eye on the finishing touches!

20230314_134316_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134331_resized by George Johnson, on Flickr

I think the Project Manager has seen something not quite right ...

20230314_134354_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134201_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

20230314_134247_resized_1 by George Johnson, on Flickr

The Project Manager sniffily commenting that it will have to do.

My friend Nigel M- and I have been working on this turntable mounted summerhouse for quite some time. We made the Patio last August, and have painstakingly re-built the summerhouse and here it is finished today.

I rather hope I may enjoy a nice G&T in there one lazy summer afternoon with the owner.

As you can see the Project Manager is quite attentive that the workers don't slack off!

Best wishes from George

What a wonderful thing :)

If you ever have time to share more details on the work George, I'd love to hear.

I did not take photos during the work. All that is original is the inner framing of the side walls and the four doors, which have been much repaired. All the joints in the framework were done with proper tenon and mortice, And I was the one who did a good ninety per cent of the cutting and chiselling, but it is surprisingly rigid, even without any real bracing, which the original did not have either. I wanted to build a completely braced framework but was over-ruled by the owner who wanted it very much as he knew it as a youngster.

Nigel was the boss and I was the hands. I did make a few suggestions that went into it.

One thing that will need to be added is a brake on the turntable, which is alarmingly free!

I am building a pergola in the coming days, which will be all my own work.

Thank you for you nice comments!

Best wishes from George

^ Yes, being able to turn it towards (or indeed out of) the sun at different times of day is pretty clever for such a thing. Wonderful.

advertisement

Back