advertisement

180g Jam album reissues

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Afternoon all... what is the sonic opinion of the 180g Jam album re-issues? I've spun brand spanking new copies of Sound Effects and Setting Suns and have found both to sound woolly, muffled and far from engaging. Not having heard the originals, I can't gauge as to whether that was the way they sounded back in the day. Other 180g reissued in my collection being played during the same sessions sounds good, so I don't think its my kit...

Cheers
Pete

In my experience original first pressings from country of origin nearly always beat any reissues.

Thanks chaps...

Yep, I have experience of that myself with a 1st edition Wish You Were Here sounding far better than the 2011 reissue on 180g vinyl... but not being a huge Jam fan, I picked up 4 of their back catalogue reissue at £6 a throw in an effort to see what all the fuss was about when I was a kid and thinking they'd sound good... but as I make mention in my first post, the two I have played are just plain dull sounding - perhaps that is what the originals were like? Do we have a Jam fan here who can add their thoughts?

Huge Jam fan from back in the day (saw them live 3 times)...but afraid no experience of the resissues. Last first press I listened to would have been All Mod Cons and it sounded excellent.

The originals are good pressings and can be found at very good prices, every time i look in a punk / new wave section there seems to be a few Jam albums, i think most were on Polydor. Lots on discogs too!

Ta very much everybody... seems I'll have to hunt for an original version of one of the four Jam reissues I have and gauge the difference (if any) myself. Strangely enough, when playing side 2 of Setting Sons tonight with an unbiased visitor who had been a Jam fan back in the day, he thought it sounded just as he remembered, so it may be nothing more than the sound not meeting my expectations... :)

Just ordered "Modern World" new vinyl from UMusic for £6. They also have "Sound Affects" and "Setting Sons" for £6 each as well (Plus p&P). Not sure if they 180grammers or standard though but at a full price of £15.99 I guess they are weighty versions.

(Oh, Dire Straits first for £6 as well)

Have a good one

Ron

That's where I got mine from too Ron.. I paid £6 each for the heavyweight editions from here so I'll be keen to hear your verdict on them once they arrive. I bought Brothers in Arms on 180g from the same source for £8 and that sounds superb...

I recently bought another mint first issue of Dig The New Breed for £6.00 some of the live recordings on this lp are excellent and sound really powerful ie: All Mod Cons, To Be someone and It's Too Bad which all roll on from one track to the next and are as good as any live recording out there.

I bought the 180g box set when it was released.
The LPs don't sound wooly or muffled on my system,Far from it.
I have a few played to death originals also.
The box set LPs are my go to now, and you get two new discs of extra stuff thats worth having along with a nice book.

Thanks Barry... I've never been one of these people who can wax lyrical in flowery language about how something sounds, so perhaps its nothing more than my perception of how two of the four reissues sound in comparison to other vinyl in my collection... :)

Thanks chaps...

Yep, I have experience of that myself with a 1st edition Wish You Were Here sounding far better than the 2011 reissue on 180g vinyl... but not being a huge Jam fan, I picked up 4 of their back catalogue reissue at £6 a throw in an effort to see what all the fuss was about when I was a kid and thinking they'd sound good... but as I make mention in my first post, the two I have played are just plain dull sounding - perhaps that is what the originals were like? Do we have a Jam fan here who can add their thoughts?
IMO re-issues can be better sounding, but there is no guarantee. In particular I do not see really any advantage of 180g. Yes, it is more stable, but if warped (if bought some of them new like this), it is even worse than a standard LP. If the cut is the same and the material also (i.e. no remix/remaster), there is no reason why a 180g LP sound sound better...

Thanks Barry... I've never been one of these people who can wax lyrical in flowery language about how something sounds, so perhaps its nothing more than my perception of how two of the four reissues sound in comparison to other vinyl in my collection... :)
TBH,
All the descriptions over the years that have come from the music and hifi press make me laugh.
All mean nothing at the end of the day.
Blacks sound Blacker is one that always makes me laugh.
I good guide is just trust your own ears and system.
If you like it?
Enjoy.

IMO re-issues can be better sounding, but there is no guarantee. In particular I do not see really any advantage of 180g. Yes, it is more stable, but if warped (if bought some of them new like this), it is even worse than a standard LP. If the cut is the same and the material also (i.e. no remix/remaster), there is no reason why a 180g LP sound sound better...

If it is not from the original master then the quality will almost certainly be degraded compared to a first pressing. I have several examples of this. Never Mind The Bollocks nnth anniversary reissue being a prime example.

Exactly Barry... god created us with these fleshy appendages on the sides of our head and wherever possible, I try to use them rather than be influenced by what I read. In fact, some of the kit I currently use wouldn't be on my rack if I'd listened to some of the so called experts, but that's another discussion for another day :)

If it is not from the original master then the quality will almost certainly be degraded compared to a first pressing. I have several examples of this. Never Mind The Bollocks nnth anniversary reissue being a prime example.
Ricky,
I have not heard the nnth anniversary reissue.
I have the original and its really not all that in the SQ department.
In fact it sounds bollocks but never mind. :)

The new Paul Weller album is the best he has done for years.
Its outstanding.

No but the original sounds exactly like it was supposed to sound whereas the reissue (must have been 30th ann) sounds dull in comparison. Hence my point.

l have a 180g version 'All Mod Cons' ( cannot remember where l brought it from) but it sounds quite a bit better than the standard versions l own, which by the way sound pretty good too, a truly great album, whatever version one has.:cool:

advertisement

Back