advertisement

How to power a NAIM Stageline?

Thank you all for the various suggestions - this is good because it tells me there are various ways I can power the Stageline. Clearly if an HP printer supply works its a cheap way to get started - have you tried this gaz?.

yes that's how I run mine ment to be better than a I supply and just as good as a snaps
never had the chance to compere them thou

That snaps will need a total overhaul.
But if you are feeling like getting your soldering iron out, not a bad place to start. That must be a very early one as I've not seen one like it before. Alternatively, the TeddyCap shouldn't need anything doing to it.

Interesting gaz25! So, 24v 500Ma supply with no other smoothing or gubbins? How is it wired to your Stageline? Presumably to the 5 pin Din but there are 2 +ve pins and one negative - so how have you done it?

ddd I would love to "DIY from scratch. TX, Rectifier, cap, regulator" and I now know what the bits you refer to are but no idea which precise bits, where from, how many, how connected and so on. I can do engines, whole motorbikes too but electronics is largely code to me. As I said earlier, I don't know how to connect an HP 24v power supply (one +ve and one -ve wire right?) to the Stageline 5 pin Din plug with two +ve and one -ve which presumably also carries the signal -ve too in some situations!

I need a "Haynes manual" to follow, if you like :)

I know DIN plugs are a fiddle but I am quite happy with a soldering iron; I make my own interconnects etc. and wire up new stuff at home. Difference is, diodes, capacitors, transformers is new territory!

So, starting with two 12v batteries in series to get a 24v supply, is the +ve lead connected to both +ve pins on the 5 pin DIN? And the -ve to the central pin? The 24v battery is effectively a single rail supply split to drive two rails?

So, starting with two 12v batteries in series to get a 24v supply, is the +ve lead connected to both +ve pins on the 5 pin DIN? Yes. That is the +ve battery terminal that is not connected to the other battery.

And the -ve to the central pin? Not certain what you my by "central pin", but if you mean the pin marked -ve on the 5 pin DIN socket in the photo, yes. Again, that is the -ve battery terminal that is not connected to the other battery.

Naim-Audio-Stageline-N-4.jpg

The 24v battery is effectively a single rail supply split to drive two rails. Yes, the +ve battery supplies the two +ve rails within the box.

Right! Thank you grazie that is perfectly clear at last. And presumably an HP printer 24v power supply would be connected exactly the same.

All other additions would be refinements of this basic set up presumably.

For example, feeding a single TPR2 with the pos and neg 24v source (battery or HP style power supply) and taking the ouput pos and neg to the Stageline would yield a better regulated, cleaner supply but still single rail to be split to feed both Stageline +ve rails.

Yes, you'd treat the 24V DC supply from a printer PSU in the same way as the 24V DC supply from the battery. However, this cheap switch mode power supply is not designed to supply audio circuits and I'd be very surprised if you got results you'd be happy with.

However, batteries are a great power source for audio circuits, still used quite often in good simple designs. They're not used more frequently because of their inconvenience. And there's no need to regulate the output from a battery either, it'll add nothing.

EDIT
There are three common types of power supply.
1. Battery
2. Linear. Transformer + Rectifier(s) + Regulator(s). e.g SNAPS. HiCap, etc.
3. Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS). These circuits are not commonly used in audio, but now very common in household applies (printer PSU, etc.)

1 is always simple.
2 is usually relatively simple, but costs increase with capacity and quality of components used.
3 is nearly always quite complex, with cheaper designs being noisy.

That's clear thanks - quite a few very positive benefits for a phono stage I would say. What current does the Stageline typically draw I wonder? This obviously influences the battery size, operational time, cost etc. 7ah lead acid batteries for burglar alarms are sensibly sized and priced and at 100Ma say, would do days worth of listening though wouldn't keep a Stageline warmed up if switched off regularly to ensure a longer life.

And of course batteries (or accumulators) were the power source I remember my grandparents talking about for the "wireless", many decades ago. It's one of the things Comet used to supply in their early days too. I digress...

advertisement

Back